Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: living with one kidney?

living with one kidney?

Well, after having to have a very large staghorn kidney stone removed two years ago, and relapsing last year with a blockage which forced everything out of the surgery site in my back in the form of an abscess (lithotripsy's & nephrostomy's galore what fun) and apparently the same thing happening again, I'm off to the hospital in the morning to verify... my Doc seems to think that removing the troubled kidney is the best course of action!

So my question is...?

What should I expect as a C5 quadriplegic having to live with only one seemingly in really good condition kidney?

If anybody has any information I would be extremely grateful if you shared, I feel somewhat in the dark as I could not find much information on the net and have not been able to talk things over with my Doc yet.

Questions going through my mind are things like...

1. Will I have to make dietary changes?
    2. How long can a quadriplegic go on one kidney before needing extra help like from dialysis?
    3. Is this going to flush my life expectancy down the toilet?
    4. Anything else you can think of?

I'm going to be 30 this month, been sitting down since I was 16 thanks to a miscalculation at the beach diving into the water :-)
    I don't smoke, I only drink on special occasions, and I eat relatively healthy!
    On average I get through about six 32 liquid ounces (big gulps) of water a day plus a few cups of tea if this helps any, I am also fortunately on very little medication.

So, there you go, my problem, any helpful response would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Delbarto
    ¡ Más Vale Cholo - Que Mal Acompañado !

My husband is a C5 and only has one working kidney. His other kidney is not working due to having backpressure from his bladder. They told him that there should not be any ill effects from only having one working kidney, as long as the one that is working keeps working properly. At this point it is important to take care of the working kidney. Dialysis is not needed unless the other kidney quits working.
    Rosie, wife to Bobby
    C5 due to MVA in 1981

One of my sisters donated a kidney to one of my brothers about 10 years
    she's doing fine, hasn't done anything different
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

My mother had a kidney removed (due to a tumor) in 2001. Didn't have to change her life at all.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I have a c-5 friend who has been doing fine on 1 kidney for over 30 years. He is working full-time, and has not made any life style changes because of the kidney other than being certain to get urological checkups as recommended by his doc.

If the remaining kidney has major probems, there may be issues.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I'm 30 and have never had two kidneys. C-5 quadriplegic for six years now. No troubles.

That is a boatload of water by the way

Whether or not you have a spinal cord injury or not, having one kidney does not necessitate making major changes to your life. You should be able to live a healthy, long life as long as you take care of it. The amount of fluids that you drink is certainly a step in the right direction. You don't mention what type of bladder management program you are on. I would definitely ask your doc if that would be effected by removing one kidney.

CKF

im c6-c7 with one kidney, it ruptured along with my spleen when i got hurt. So far i cant tell the difference, did the bladder study twice, good pressured and flow. Every 4-6 hours or so empty it out, dont smoke and rarely drink alcohol, but drink about 2.5 liters of water some tea and juices. I am taking Oxybutinin 10mg 3 times daily for blader and like others sayed take care of it.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Whether or not you have a spinal cord injury or not, having one kidney does not necessitate making major changes to your life. You should be able to live a healthy, long life as long as you take care of it. The amount of fluids that you drink is certainly a step in the right direction. You don't mention what type of bladder management program you are on. I would definitely ask your doc if that would be effected by removing one kidney.

CKF
    I used condom catheters and had to stimulate my bladder roughly every two hours by banging it irepeatedly by hand in the pubic region, I do apologise for not knowing the name of this method properly in English as I had my accident in Spain.
    I was often retaining, never fully emptying and felt like my life was dominated by this!

I now use a suprapubic catheter which is changed frequently and have much less problems from it, I also feel I have regained a lot of my life back!

Unfortunately the damage was already done...

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

CKF
    I used condom catheters and had to stimulate my bladder roughly every two hours by banging it irepeatedly by hand in the pubic region, I do apologise for not knowing the name of this method properly in English as I had my accident in Spain.
    I was often retaining, never fully emptying and felt like my life was dominated by this!

I now use a suprapubic catheter which is changed frequently and have much less problems from it, I also feel I have regained a lot of my life back!

Unfortunately the damage was already done...