Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ER or is it worth it?

ER or is it worth it?

I made a post a few days ago regarding constipation and wanted to ask a question before I even try........

Earlier today: 2 bottle of magnesium citrate, Myralax, and even an enema to try and take care of a 2+ week back-up issue. NOTHING... but girgling sounds and a weird feeling in my stomach.

Here is my question. Before I even try another (and the last that I bought) enema and possibly make a big problem on my bed, should I just forget about it and go to the ER tomorrow? I am scared b/c it has been well over 2 weeks since the last BM (and it was not all that when I had it). Its been months since a good one. No joking.....

I went to the ER almost 2 months ago and they told me to drink 1 bottle of magnesium citrate. I did. 24 hours later..... I sat on the toilet and it sounded like a girl going pee. So runny. Since then, I have had one BM and it was not impressive.

I feel bloated, dirty, in a bad mood, heartburn, and I am throwing up.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjmac View Post
    I made a post a few days ago regarding constipation and wanted to ask a question before I even try........

Earlier today: 2 bottle of magnesium citrate, Myralax, and even an enema to try and take care of a 2+ week back-up issue. NOTHING... but girgling sounds and a weird feeling in my stomach.

Here is my question. Before I even try another (and the last that I bought) enema and possibly make a big problem on my bed, should I just forget about it and go to the ER tomorrow? I am scared b/c it has been well over 2 weeks since the last BM (and it was not all that when I had it). Its been months since a good one. No joking.....

I went to the ER almost 2 months ago and they told me to drink 1 bottle of magnesium citrate. I did. 24 hours later..... I sat on the toilet and it sounded like a girl going pee. So runny. Since then, I have had one BM and it was not impressive.

I feel bloated, dirty, in a bad mood, heartburn, and I am throwing up.

Any suggestions?
    I'm sure the nurse will chime in but in my opinion you need to go to the emergency room ASAP...especially beings you are vomiting...it hasn't been just 2 weeks...almost 2 months...just make sure you are cleaned properly and not allowed to "lay" in poop...
    good luck...

If you are throwing up, go now not tomorrow. I had a near month back up that nearly killed me in march. Sunday nights at the ER are not as busy as monday mornings are as an added benny for going in tonite.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I agree. With the lack of BMs and the liquid BM you had after that one bottle of magnesium citrate, nothing since (even after 2 bottles of mag. citrate today), and you throwing up, it all adds up to an intestinal blockage. This is very serious, and you need to go to the ER now, not tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if what you were throwing up was bile and feces. Please don't wait until tomorrow.

Go to the ER and tell them you are pretty certain you are impacted, despite the use of IT baclofen, fleets enemas, etc, and that you need to be cleaned out.

They should take an xray to determine where the impaction is and what to do to get at it. Be sure to tell them everything you've tried to get relief.

Two weeks plus without a BM is dangerous, as is the fact that you're now throwing up. Get to the ER right away please.

l
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

You could end up in surgery if you don't go NOW! PLEASE GO!!!!

I lost a 16 year old friend to just a few days impaction. Go immediately and cover your chair cushion in a Hefty bag just in case the mag citrate starts. Even if it starts working, go anyway.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

hoping all comes out!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Hope you are at the e.r. now. Feel better soon.

ditto i just saw this, i think i responded to you first post, and was asking what te er had suggested. one bottle of mag citrate is imo not a er impaction fix,
    i too am having troubles, but i am not blocked.
    your throwing up is a big ER sign.
    too bad they was no follow up on you a month ago, you wouldn't be in this position.
    hope you check back in soon with good news.
    cauda equina