Thread: nerve pairs die off?

nerve pairs die off?

I'm an incomplete c7 central cord syndrome 1 year post injury. I've been told that though I've made a good recovery, I should expect to get weaker over time as the alarmingly few still intact nerve pairs die off.

To date I've held on to the hope that I can still regain function/sensation over time, but this news is distressing. Is it normal for nerve-pairs to die off with age or injury? Is this an inevitability, or just a possibility?

Red face the nerve

Hi. I'm no expert by ANY means, but I've learned thru reading various posts that you can keep improving by exercising & PT/OT. Don't give up, if you give up, you lose the battle, and there's always a chance - just read some of the other posts & you'll see what I mean! My prayers are with you.

I am 3 years post and I can still se improvements although I am not near as strong or fluid as before the accident I am still regaining endurance and strength. As you age everything gets weaker even if you have no injury, keep as active as you can for where you are at but always push yourself. A year ago I started to ride a bike again and I made it 30 feet and fell off yesterday I rode 44 miles on not easy terrain. Its not the same and your days will sometimes suck just to do daily activities, but as my father says to me " How old are you going to be tomorrow if you don't try, the same as if you do- so try!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pain is only temporary, it may last a day a week a year, If I quit it's forever- Lance Armstrong
    My best wishes to you my friend and I hope you gain major improvements,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by miklb View Post
    I'm an incomplete c7 central cord syndrome 1 year post injury. I've been told that though I've made a good recovery, I should expect to get weaker over time as the alarmingly few still intact nerve pairs die off.

To date I've held on to the hope that I can still regain function/sensation over time, but this news is distressing. Is it normal for nerve-pairs to die off with age or injury? Is this an inevitability, or just a possibility?
    Who told you this? There is no reason for spinal nerves that are not already damaged to "die out" long after your injury. The only reason that there would be worsening (instead of improvement) would be a syrinx, which would be an alarming development and something that can usually be stopped with appropriate surgical intervention.

If your injury is incomplete, you should expect to continue to get some further recovery for up to 24 months or longer. Remember that Christopher Reeve, although technically an ASIA B, got back some small finger function nearly 10 years post injury. Don't give up, and don't listen to nay-sayers who don't sound like they really know what they are talking about.

(KLD)

My neuro surgeon told me this after looking at my mri, so it shook me. Knowing that I've only a few nerve pairs in tact has me thinking that life as I know it is literally hanging together be a few threads. It's encourgaging to know the nerve pairs shouldn't just deteriorate. I suspect based on your responses that maybe he was refering to the normal aging process, but I will ask him when I see him again.

Your posts were very encouraging, and boosted me out of the funk I was slipping into. Thank you for the suppport. I feel like working out tomorrow :-)