Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handicap parking

Handicap parking

I actually got someone to move their car today after they parked illegally!

We pulled into a store parking lot and the SUV in front of us had two healthy women (probably 19 and 50) and a girl about 10. After they walked away, I checked for tags and then hollered that they didn't have tag displayed and that I wouldn't hesitate to call the police. Then some old lady standing by the entrance hollered out that the police had been at Wal-Mart issuing tickets and fines for that. The younger woman turned around and got snooty and said she had been on her feet all day (she was about 4 months pregnant). My son was next to me in his chair. I was like, honey then you shouldn't be out shopping. The older woman did go move the car but scolded that I should not have been so snotty about it. I'm sorry, but I have no patience for this crap and I have ceased being pleasant for blatant violations like that.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Good job
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

In some city's the police will let you write warnings for people who park in spots that are designated for us. Just be careful it is hard to tell people who have MS and can't walk far with out getting tired. If I lived in a big city I would hang out at super wal-marts and give tickets. I must say it is the one thing that urks me big time.

Even folks who have MS need a tag to park...good job Lucy!

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy View Post
    My son was next to me in his chair. I was like, honey then you shouldn't be out shopping. The older woman did go move the car but scolded that I should not have been so snotty about it. I'm sorry, but I have no patience for this crap and I have ceased being pleasant for blatant violations like that.
    It's great that you spoke up and I understand your frustration, but there is no reason not to start with a polite explanation of why someone should not violate this law. If they respond with anger or nastiness, it may be out of embarrassment and I would suggest continuing to be polite for a bit longer. Even if you don't get through to the immediate offender, realize that others may be watching and you will only seem more credible to them. I have known people who had honestly never thought about the implications of "just a minute" in a handicapped parking space until it was directly explained to them or they witnessed it first hand.

That being said, I almost punted somebody on the freeway today because their utter disregard for others totally pissed me off. Like I said, I get your frustration.

C.

Great job, excellent!!!! Keep it up!!!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Good job. I understand your frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy View Post
    I was like, honey then you shouldn't be out shopping.
    lol

Seriously though, she was showing at 4 months?

I was really ticked off a while back when taking my daughter to a doctor's visit. Someone pulled in before us and took the only available handicap spot. They had a tag, but it appeard the handicap person stayed in the car while the able bodied person went in. We were forced to parked tight in between two cars and then go through the parking lot to get to a ramp. I'm always worried that she will get hit by a car backing up so I hate for her to go through parking lots.

Then I wonder what people are thinking when I have parked in a handicap spot, get out of the car to pick up my daughter as I don't have her with me yet. So now I try not to judge.

It this case you were right as they didn't have a tag at all. Maybe they and others around will think next time.

I understand your frustration also. I also think some places just don't have enough spaces, like grocery stores, pharmacies, and clinics.
    http://brinaesau.blogspot.com

Without change, there would be no butterflies.