Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texas CDS Program

Texas CDS Program

Trying to get out information about the CDS option in Texas. Texas Residents on Primary Care, CBA, or CLASS are eligible.
    Please let me know if you need more information ?

http://www.dads.state.tx.us/providers/CDS/

PM'd you
    Rosie, wife to Bobby
    C5 due to MVA in 1981

Love love love this program!!! Chose your own providers and great flexibility.

Texas kicks a$$!!

Thumbs down CDS Program: CLASS Program

Please be advised there is a long waiting list. I recently checked into the program for my daughter (c5 c6 incomplete, 22 yrs. old when she had her accident) to give her the flexibility of hiring her own attendants and physical therapy program. I was told she's 27,000 on the waiting list. Here's what an official in that program said to me:This was a phone conversation I had a couple of days ago with a person in the Medicaid system. This isn't the first time I have had someone working in the Medicaid system tell me this. He told me: You have two options to get to the top of the CLASS Program List:
    1. She has to be mentally incapacitated, autistic
    2. You have to put your family member into a nursing facility for 30 days and Medicaid will pay for the time spent in the nursing facility

This is why the spinal cord injured clients are always getting put on the waiting list for these types of Medicaid programs. doesn't this gentleman realize that WE, THE TAXPAYERS, are paying for Medicaid.

Please let us all get the word out to our state officials, family friends, acquaintances and everybody because the Medicaid CDS programs aren't being made available to the SCI community.
    Aggie Mom 2007

I am referring to CDS only

I waited over 8 years for the CLASS program.
    I am talking mainly about the CDS option there is no waiting list for it.
    I hear there is supposed to be some openings soon. Have you tried CBA? It is just about as good as CLASS. CLASS pays more per hour for an attendent but it has the modifications program also.
    They have other programs for children and other needs.

It may be worth it in the long run to endure 30 days in a nursing home to get on CLASS.

CDS is available to consumers in the following programs:
    hope this helps
    Last edited by reedyd; 08-07-2009 at 04:45 PM.

CDS Program: CLASS Program

Thanks for the replies. I got most of my info from the Town Hall Meeting held in Fort Worth.
    Another thing you can check, is the DADS website(do a bing or google search .gov sites) for up to date info on things that are going to change. I received a bunch info on 8/7/09 on all affected programs, i.e. all are under the heading of CDS (Medicaid) Consumer Driven Services. The following are included in the CDS: CBA, Community Waiver Programs: clients who are eligible for institutional care, AAA, AL/RC, ICM (yes, we were told at the meeting that ICM: Integrated Care Management still exists in Texas), CLASS, DAHS, ERS, HMS, MRAs, PCS, PHC and FC Services, LTS, MDCP and some others that weren't put into the presentation.

Also if a client currently is wanting to get out of a nursing home and to get into another program that is a community waiver program, DADS will authorize up to $2,500 for clients transitioning from a facility (nursing, assisted types of facility) to setup their own household, ie security deposits for leases or to establish utility services, purchasing essential furnishings, paying moving exp. to move into home, paying site prep. Client must be a Medicaid nursing facility resident to be eligible for the TAS: transition assistance services.

One question to ask when applying for these services is how old can the person be or at what age did the disability happen? Because in CLASS Program you have to have been 21 yrs. old when the disablity/SCI accident occurred or mental retardation (any age).
    Aggie Mom 2007

I spoke at that meeting. By the time I spoke most of the information had been covered. Yes you are right about CLASS. I was 17 and all that. We covered the others maybe not in detail.
    It is the CDS option that we are trying to get the word out about. I apologize in my post I should have left CLASS out of it.
    The CDS option has no age restrictions.
    I already know about this. I'm not looking for info about CDS just trying to let people know about this option. There are many who don't. Even a lot of DHS workers know little or nothing about it.

Dave
    Last edited by reedyd; 08-11-2009 at 05:29 PM.

One question that popped up in my mind: Do we also get to decide how many hours we need the caregiver or is that up to either CBA or whatever program you have?

Something else that I was told was that after we pass on, our home or property becomes property of the CBA unless you applied for services before a particular date which at this time I can't recall. This would leave our inheritors without their inheritance. I believe that the only way it would not be lost to the government would be if the inheritor were to go through some legal procedures. I don't remember it all right now but it would be good to check on all this more I think.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    One question that popped up in my mind: Do we also get to decide how many hours we need the caregiver or is that up to either CBA or whatever program you have?

Something else that I was told was that after we pass on, our home or property becomes property of the CBA unless you applied for services before a particular date which at this time I can't recall. This would leave our inheritors without their inheritance. I believe that the only way it would not be lost to the government would be if the inheritor were to go through some legal procedures. I don't remember it all right now but it would be good to check on all this more I think.

Raven
    You are allowed hours according to your needs, You can choose how many you want to use. Most state programs require recovery. Even state funded nursing home care.

Some info here

http://www.dads.state.tx.us/services...very/faqs.html

there is exceptions

i would suggest seeing a good estate planner anytime you have concerns

great question

thanks

David

81 Legislature Special Session - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by reedyd View Post
    I waited over 8 years for the CLASS program.
    I am talking mainly about the CDS option there is no waiting list for it.
    I hear there is supposed to be some openings soon. Have you tried CBA? It is just about as good as CLASS. CLASS pays more per hour for an attendent but it has the modifications program also.
    They have other programs for children and other needs.

It may be worth it in the long run to endure 30 days in a nursing home to get on CLASS.

CDS is available to consumers in the following programs:
    hope this helps

reedyd:

Checkout the 81st Legislature Texas Special Session Mtg. Alot of these programs are going to go to Sunset vote in 2013. They were going to vote on SB 2 to expire in 2011, but the vote made the decision for SB 2 to be delayed and re-evaluated in 2013. I couldn't believe that DADS/DARS and HHSC programs were going to expire 2013. So I did some checking out on bing.com and came up with the actually vote on the SB 2 and the items that were going to be sunsetted (expired). I don't know what people are going to do in Texas if this does happen in 2013. One of the website http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...s=811&Bill=SB2. There are according to Texas statistics 1.2 million people with some type of disability using these services.
    Aggie Mom 2007