Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing a mesh to stop quad belly?

Installing a mesh to stop quad belly?

Hello everyone, i'm a c7 and I'm tired of my quad belly, it makes me feel fat and it feels terriable. I was wondering, has anyone heard of installing a metal mesh inside the abdominal region to keep everything in place and to reduce the stretching of the stomach? Kidney transplant patients get this done somtimes.

Wise replied to similar question in April:
    1. A marlex mesh needs some anchoring points to hold in the gut. You cannot have a marlex mesh over the entire front of your belly. It is useful for people who may have a selective opening in the abdomenal muscles (i.e. a hernia) or weakness of part of the muscles on one side. However, it is unlikely to be effective in holding in your gut.

2. Marlex grafts, particularly big ones, have a propensity to cause infections and other problems. Any complication could be very serious.

Rob C6/7

thanks for the info rob

Have you considered the bio-vest at www.mypainmanager.com? I too am about fed up with this alien blob forming around my tummy and am looking into the bio-vest as a potential remedy.

"The essense of greatness is the perception that courage is enough." R. Waldo Emerson

I don't see how this suite works, it seems as if its only a stim unit, i've been stimming my abs for about 3 months now and there is no difference. do u know how this is different then just a stim unit?

Skip the metal. After telling one of my docs I had had it with all the BS that accompanies SCI including the gut and loss of well, perky chest area, he signed referrals. Haven't even called it in and on Dr 90210 last night saw what? An "internal corset" procedure done on a woman who had lost a lot of weight. It can't be done very tightly unless you've had all the children you plan on but if so...it keeps the tummy tucked where you want it to be. Back where it belongs. It is a procedure not a product and can reel in muscle that is needed to hold the organs in. Yes, I'll be asking about this procedure soon. I mean if we had cancer we would all be counseled on reconstructive surgery. Has anyone here ever been offered a plastic surgery consult for deformity arising from your paralysis? Not to mention all the OTs who have to know that the proper form of the body is easier to dress. I am seriously beginning to wonder why OTs do not bring this up nor anyone on the rehab teams I've heard of.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Do u know the name of this procedure or any more information on it? It sounds like it would work.

Never heard of it but will try to find out.

Abdominoplasty

Does this sound right Sue?

Krystal
    (Wife to Chris who is C6,7 complete.)
    www.chrisandkrysi.com

I think I found it.

The procedure you are referring to, I believe, is abdominoplasty. In simplistic terms, this plastic surgery removes fat, scarring, etc from the abdominal cavity and brings the muscles tighter together. It is a very popular plastic surgery right now, along with liposuction.

It is an excellent question and logical to think this procedure might help quad bellies. Our hospital does not perform them and I have never heard of SCI patients getting his procedure done nor if it would even help quad bellies. I have no experience with this but it would be worth investigating with a plastic surgeon, definitely.
    The main cause of quad belly in SCI patients appears to be from paralyzed abdominal muscles losing tone and nerves not functioning properly- not excess fat or scarring. In addition it's probable that atonic (lack of tone as in SCI) or impaired muscle would not heal or function in the way able bodied muscle would after surgery.

However, new techniques and improvements are happening all the time so perhaps it has been successfully done and not highly publicized.
    Possibly, other moderators know more.

Let us know if you run across any further information. We're all interestesd.

AAD