Thread: Detrol LA & birth control pills

Detrol LA & birth control pills

My urologist prescribed detrol LA for me today to try for six month. I'm wondering if it intracts with birth control pills. Do you have to use additional contraceptive while you are using it?

What kind of birth control pills?

I doubt if it does, but you should always check with your pharmacist about this. It is a good reason to always get your meds through the same pharmacy as they should check for any new orders (although it is best to always ASK as well).

According to one good resource, this is the only known drug-drug interaction for Detrol LA:
    CYP3A4 Inhibitors: Ketoconazole, an inhibitor of the drug metabolizing enzyme CYP3A4, significantly increased plasma concentrations of tolterodine when coadministered to subjects who were poor metabolizers. For patients receiving ketoconazole or other potent CYP3A4 inhibitors such as other azole antifungals (e.g., itraconazole, miconazole) or macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin, clarithromycin) or cyclosporine or vinblastine, the recommended dose of DETROL LA is 2 mg daily.
    (KLD)

Thanks SCI-Nurse for the reply ..i'm on Yasmine birth control

many anitbiotics make 'the pill' ineffective.