Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Botox Bladder Injection

Thumbs up Botox Bladder Injection

I cannot beleive the difference this has made. Before my botox injections I had a bladder that never cooperated. I was on multiple medications, ditropan xl , imipramine, desmopression, and several others. Non of which stopped my continual leaking and lack of capacity. Even with all the medications my bladder would start to spasm at 250-300cc's. I could never sleep throught the night and was up several times to cath. Since my injections on April 2 , 2009, exactly 6 yrs since my accident, I have been taken off all but my enablex, have not leaked, and am able to sleep through the night. I can not tell what it is like to have never slept through one night for six years!! I cant beleive it took so long to have this procedure recommended and done. It has certainly lightened the load for me. I would recommend this to anyone who has had continuing problems with neurogenic bladder. Now it is to see how long it will last. Urologist says 6-12 months, so I am 4 months out and doing well. I must say, the 30-40 injections were not that pleseant at times but has been well worth the pros of less meds, less cathing, and more sleep!!

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    I cannot beleive the difference this has made. Before my botox injections I had a bladder that never cooperated. I was on multiple medications, ditropan xl , imipramine, desmopression, and several others. Non of which stopped my continual leaking and lack of capacity. Even with all the medications my bladder would start to spasm at 250-300cc's. I could never sleep throught the night and was up several times to cath. Since my injections on April 2 , 2009, exactly 6 yrs since my accident, I have been taken off all but my enablex, have not leaked, and am able to sleep through the night. I can not tell what it is like to have never slept through one night for six years!! I cant beleive it took so long to have this procedure recommended and done. It has certainly lightened the load for me. I would recommend this to anyone who has had continuing problems with neurogenic bladder. Now it is to see how long it will last. Urologist says 6-12 months, so I am 4 months out and doing well. I must say, the 30-40 injections were not that pleseant at times but has been well worth the pros of less meds, less cathing, and more sleep!!
    Great to hear about your success with the injections. The results from my first procedure began to fade at about 9 months. Got a booster shot and my bladder's nice and quiet again.

Why are you still on Enablex? I'm happy to report that I'm presently not taking ANY medications for anything.

Congrats, medic1, that's wonderful to hear. Sounds like you've got yourself the makings of a Mastercard commercial (totally making up the prices here):

The cost of botox injections: $1500
    Urologist fees: $500
    Transportation to and from the procedure: $20
    Being able to sleep through the night: PRICELESS

Hope it lasts for a long time.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    The cost of botox injections: $1500
    Urologist fees: $500
    Transportation to and from the procedure: $20
    Being able to sleep through the night: PRICELESS
    LMAO, thehipcrip! loved this!

medic1, i am very glad for you that the procedure brought you so many benefits! i am still making up my mind to have or not the injections, but your post certainly helped!

i hope the benefits last for a long time! pls let us know.
    lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Glad to hear it's working so well, medic1.

Has anyone heard whether any progress is being made towards bringing this into the mainstream so that insurance will pay?

Quote Originally Posted by jkalter View Post
    Glad to hear it's working so well, medic1.

Has anyone heard whether any progress is being made towards bringing this into the mainstream so that insurance will pay?
    My procedures have come at no expense because I'm a participant in the Dignity Study sponsored by Allergan, the manufacturer of Botox.

Others here have reported getting insurance reimbursement, but I don't know the percent rate of success. Perseverance will almost certainly be required.

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post

Hi there Last year I mentioned this botox stuff to my old urologist and he never followed up with it . It bummed me out
    My small Neurogenic bladder cramps up bad and spasms etc at less than 200
    I am glad you are doing well with your procedure I'll ask my new urological surgeon if he could try me on these Botox injections
    Sincerely :
    Gypsylady

botox is awesome, had my 2nd injection a month or two ago. Dont know what ill do with out it, probably pissing myself constantly
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

Great timing

My son is scheduled to have botox bladder treatment on August 3rd and I am stressing as usual....just want him to have some resemblence of independence and not having to wear a condom cath 24/7 and being able to do his own IC's would be "priceless" indeed
    How often do most of you do IC's?
    What do you do at night? Condom cath leg bag ot get up for IC?
    What dosage is most often effective? What is the recommended minimun dosage for effectivness?
    Has it cut down on UTI's?
    Thanks....peace

Quote Originally Posted by new dimension View Post
    My son is scheduled to have botox bladder treatment on August 3rd and I am stressing as usual....just want him to have some resemblence of independence and not having to wear a condom cath 24/7 and being able to do his own IC's would be "priceless" indeed
    How often do most of you do IC's?
    What do you do at night? Condom cath leg bag ot get up for IC?
    What dosage is most often effective? What is the recommended minimun dosage for effectivness?
    Has it cut down on UTI's?
    Thanks....peace
    I cath between 4-6x/day. Rarely have to go during the night, so sleep is rarely interrupted.

Subjects in the Allergan study receive either 200 or 300 units of Botox (or placebo for the control group). I would bet that I received 300 units, which is also the dose my uro uses in his practice.

Effect on UTI: No difference for me, I rarely get them. But if you're cathing fewer times it stands to reason that the risk is lower. A more relaxed bladder wall may also be less susceptible. Botox by itself, of course, does not offer any protection.