Thread: Jess has big problems

Jess has big problems

Seems that Jesses T10 area of his back has gotten so bad that he will have to have rods put in sometime in September. (He started losing the sensation in his legs) He is going to be fitted for a shell next week until they schedule surgery. This is all very brand new news, one hour ago, so have very few facts. I am catastrophysing to the point of becoming sick. Can anyone give me a few details of what this procedure means and what the outcome might be. Are the rods temporary? Will he have a long recovery? Will there be pain? What are the changes that this surgery will mess up his ability to know when to cath? I know these answers will come from the Dr. at Mayo but I just cant wait for the appointment when I know there are many here who have experienced first hand what the rods do.

I had rods implanted with my surgery from T12-L2. The rods are used to stabalize the vert. not sure all the details in your sons case, but I spent about a week in ICU, although mine was from an accident, he may just get put on a surgical floor. My neuro said that he had to move some spinal roots to remove bone fragments but I dont thing he will have to worry about that. If all goes accordingly he should have the same sensation or so. There may be slight set back when they place the rods, if they have to move anything at the time of placement. Who knows, maybe with the rods he will get back something that he has been losing. ONce they take the pressure off the cord or nerves he should be back where he was. This of course is just my opinion. Most the time rods are permenant unless they are causing pain or infection. I can't say I was in a lot of pain, I had good drugs . I was up and started therapy two weeks after my surgery. Again, hard to say how it will work for him because he is going in for surgery so he may have a faster recovery. He will have to wear a TLSO though for I think 3 months. That will be from just about the top of the chest to the hips. This is to stabalize and allow the screws to adhear to the bone properly before too much stress of twisting and moving and such. At least he will have cooler weather to wear it in. Hope all goes well and that others can give you more information.

1- HUGS for you
    2- BREATHE
    3- RELAX, it WILL be OK

I'm assuming Jess is having scoliosis problems? or has he had damage to the structure of his spine?

I'm assuming his rods will be similar to what I had after my accident. They are in a ladder/H shape they go down either side of his spine to support the structure & then a certain number of rungs(I have 2) will go between them for lateral support.

Typically the rods themselves are not painful, they are permanant, unless he has complications with them(not common, although he does play rugby, he possibly could break one but not easily, they're titanium), they will reduce his flexibility some, but probably not dramatically.

I can't see it screwing with his cathing, except while he's in the TLSO it's going to be REALLY tough to reach to cath....

Recovery is gonna be tough, They'll probably dope him up pretty good...I had to wear my TLSO for 12 weeks after, however I also had a fractured sternum, so he may not have to wear it that long....

Being that he's at Mayo, I'm sure Jess has an awesome Dr, but if you want another ref, my neurosurgeon was AWESOME & I'm sure you could at least call his office & see if you could send Jess' records to him for another opinion if you're concerned about the surgery....PM or e-mail me if you want his cntact info.

More hugs for you! & lots of prayers for Jess & your entire family
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Hi,

I agree with the above information that was said above. It is hard to know if your son will be in ICU, most likely at least initially after surgery but best to write down your questions and get it straight from the doctor about this specific case.

My experience is also that initially there may be some decline but should regain with the healing. And usually rods are permanent unless infection or other complications.

I hope all goes well, it sounds like you are in good hands but get as much information as possible. Write it all down as it will be aloat to absorb at once.

AAD

thanks

Thanks for supplying me with this info. Definitely answered a few questions and gave me some that I didnt ask for, like I cant believe that I hadnt thought of therapy after this. I imagine he wont be able to do too much "going" since he cant be transferring up into his truck. I hope he can still get into his car???? He is pretty much bummed out and he just wants to get this over with but cant see the surgeon for a month. Wait, wait, wait.

Glad we could answer your questions. I'd say initially Jess would have difficulty getting in his truck(primarily due to pain & limited movement w/the TLSO after surgery), but in the long run, it wouldn't be a problem...He gets in it now, right? I know he'll be itching to drive it again...boyz and their toyz...hurry up & wait sucks...

Get yourself a notebook to keep handy & every time you've got a though/question write it in the notebook. Have it somewhere that Jess can do so too(or have him keep one of his own) You'll inevitably forget something you wanted to ask the dr next time you meet with him. If you write it all down, you can go down your list and check things off as you talk to him, then you know you hit everything you were concerend about or wanted to know. Makes the appointment go so much smother..

Hope Jess feels better soon

HUGS again!
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing View Post
    Glad we could answer your questions. I'd say initially Jess would have difficulty getting in his truck(primarily due to pain & limited movement w/the TLSO after surgery), but in the long run, it wouldn't be a problem...He gets in it now, right? I know he'll be itching to drive it again...boyz and their toyz...hurry up & wait sucks...

Get yourself a notebook to keep handy & every time you've got a though/question write it in the notebook. Have it somewhere that Jess can do so too(or have him keep one of his own) You'll inevitably forget something you wanted to ask the dr next time you meet with him. If you write it all down, you can go down your list and check things off as you talk to him, then you know you hit everything you were concerend about or wanted to know. Makes the appointment go so much smother..

Hope Jess feels better soon

HUGS again!
    Cant send a post without doing a quote first so thats why...

Here is the latest....Hopefully Jess does not have to have this rod put in....that is just if putting on the back brace doesnt help/work. His vertebra has microfractures. It is something called neuropathic arthropathy. Sure you all know what that is. His Dr. said this is the earliest he has ever caught something like this. Most cases are too far gone so we are very hopeful that not only will the brace help but it will solve the problem he has been having for 2 full years. When they put an Xlarge on him just to show him what to expect he said it felt so good to actually sit straight, but after two minutes his BP dropped so low he was seeing stars. Needs the BP meds now too.