Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiLite soft rolls vs Frog Legs soft rolls

TiLite soft rolls vs Frog Legs soft rolls

Does anyone have experience to share with both the TiLite 5" billet aluminum hub casters with soft roll tires and Frog Legs 5" soft roll tires? (both 5x1”)

It is time to change the bearings on my TR's TiLite soft rolls and I am wondering if it is worth switching to the Frog Legs soft rolls to try.

Is there any difference in rolling or ride smoothness? Preferences between the two?

I find that the TiLite soft rolls do not absorb the sidewalk crack bumps as well as I thought they would but I had a XTR with Frog Legs forks before (smooth but inefficient to push and front tippy) so the difference was going to be noticeable from that for sure.

If the Frog Legs soft rolls are way better I will give them a try but if there is not really much difference then I will just get new bearings for the TiLite’s.

For me personally...the frog leg ones did not hold up as well as the tilite ones. I had big chunks taken out of the wheel within a couple weeks of getting them.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

My friend had the same problem with the Frog Legs soft rolls. They wear out really fast, according to him and not really worth the money. He now uses just soft roll casters that you see in the Sportaid catalog (can't remember the brand, though). I use hard casters on my wheelchair, because they seem to last longer for someone who is outdoors a lot.

Jessie
    (L-4 SCI and spastic paraparesis)

I actually don't have a DMO and need to purchase the soft rolls.

Any clue where I can buy them?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Does anyone have experience to share with both the TiLite 5" billet aluminum hub casters with soft roll tires and Frog Legs 5" soft roll tires? (both 5x1”)

I don`t know how 5x1 are, but in 5x1.5 there`s no difference, i`ve got froglegs aluminium softroll casters 5" and i try last week a tilite of my friend with tilites softroll casters 5x1.5 and they roll the same, they have the same rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    For me personally...the frog leg ones did not hold up as well as the tilite ones. I had big chunks taken out of the wheel within a couple weeks of getting them.
    FronLegs soft rolls that were produced ~2 years ago had an issue with pieces of rubber breaking off, but Mark changed the design and they hold up much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    FronLegs soft rolls that were produced ~2 years ago had an issue with pieces of rubber breaking off, but Mark changed the design and they hold up much better now.

That is interesting. I got mine from Sportaid about a year ago and they got major chunks taken out. I wonder if I got the end of the barrell?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Sportaid will post a special promo code every week to fans of Sportaid on Facebook. This week, all casters are 15% off using coupon code SA727.

If the Frog Legs are no better or smoother then I will probably just change the bearings on my TiLite soft rolls. The parts manual says Bearing, 8mm I.D. X 22mm O.D. X 7mm W.

Are these just standard bearings that skateboards use as well? Should I get these cheaper and probably higher quality at a skateboard shop then my DME would provide?

Quote: Does anyone have experience to share with both the TiLite 5" billet aluminum hub casters with soft roll tires and Frog Legs 5" soft roll tires? (both 5x1”)

I didn't think Froglegs made 5"x1" casters. I thought the Froglegs were all 1.5" width. By the way can I trade my TiLite 5'X1" softrolls for Froglegs? Sure seems like a lot of room on either side of these casters (with spacers in there).
    Last edited by Lynne; 07-31-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added quote