Thread: Autonomic Dysreflexia

Autonomic Dysreflexia

Hi all,

I have a C1-C2 SCI, I had a bilateral nephrectomy and I am on dialysis now.
    For the last few weeks I experience episodes of mild autonomic dysreflexia, sometimes lasting for hours. We have not found a reason until now but it seems to be better during range of motion or when someone is moving my legs. Does someone recognize this? What could be a possible explanation for this kind of AD episodes?

rh

Hi,

NOt sure if I am understanding your question.
    Are you thinking the ROM or moving your legs brings on AD or makes it better? Also, what AD symptoms are you having?

AAD

The ROM or moving my legs makes the AD better. The AD systoms includes elevated blood pressure, sweating, itching and a kind of tingling feeling on parts of my face and head. The high blood pressure does not hold, it goes up for a few seconds (maximum 180/110), than down for a few minutes, again up, etc etc.

Thanks for your reply!!

Have you tried just elevating your knees? Maybe you're having excess pressure on your sacrum which is giving you the symptoms. Besides of that, I would have no idea but maybe someone else here would.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Hi,

Unfortunately, one cannot always tell what is the cause of AD. It is simpler if it related to bowel or bladder issues but can also be mild pain, discomfort, restrictive clothing and it could well be that it is related to position or spasm. Do you have pain when this happens? Does changing your position bring your blood pressure down? How do your symptoms eventually resolve? Over what time period?

AAD

RH_DH.

Autonomic Dysreflexia-Hyperreflexia increases the catecholamine levels and one way that I have found to counter it's affects is to burn it off with any physical activity. I use to find relief by laying down in a position that would facilitate my myoclonic tremors, finding it strange that the more I shook the better I felt. Physical activity can cause AD-H and it can aleviate it, one of the damned if you do, damned if you don't aspects of this condition.

Joe