Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Wise, and everyone else...

Dr. Wise, and everyone else...

Dr. Young, and everybody else.... My wife, age 22, is about 1.5 years post injury, she is a C5 ASIA A Complete with a right arm amputation at the shoulder. She is just finished outpatient PT yesterday. Basically we want to know if we are on the right track for preparing her for the potential of a cure, or is their more that we should be doing. Right know we are doing the following at home: 3 days a week FES Cycling for an hour, 3 days a week standing frame (she can almost tolerate a full hour at a full stand). In addition she receives passive and active(arm) ROM Daily.

Are we on the right track? Is their more that she should be doing?

I would say you're doing more than fine, but ill let dr. Wise call it
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Anyone else have any opinions on this?

You are definitely on the right track. The standing frame can help with bone density, bowell & bladder (both benefit from gravity when upright). Have you looked at E-stim for her arm?

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    You are definitely on the right track. The standing frame can help with bone density, bowell & bladder (both benefit from gravity when upright). Have you looked at E-stim for her arm?
    I believe that they did that back when she was in patient, but not since then.

As she gets stronger she may want to stand every day. It's sooooo good for the body: circulation, bones, over all well being. She's still a newbie and will probably get more return as time goes on. Keep pushing her and lots of luck to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rtmad21 View Post
    Dr. Young, and everybody else.... My wife, age 22, is about 1.5 years post injury, she is a C5 ASIA A Complete with a right arm amputation at the shoulder. She is just finished outpatient PT yesterday. Basically we want to know if we are on the right track for preparing her for the potential of a cure, or is their more that we should be doing. Right know we are doing the following at home: 3 days a week FES Cycling for an hour, 3 days a week standing frame (she can almost tolerate a full hour at a full stand). In addition she receives passive and active(arm) ROM Daily.

Are we on the right track? Is their more that she should be doing?
    You are on the right track. At least this is what I would do. The FES cycling should maintain her muscles and is the one treatment that also has been shown to maintain bone density. The standing (at least an hour a day 3 days a week) does not seem to improve bone density but will improve posture and reduce postural hypotension (the drop in blood pressure) by improving the vascular response to decreasing blood pressure. I have also met people who have told me that standing and walking also reduces their bladder infection, spasticity, and constipation.

Wise.

Rtmad21, what kind of FES bike do you have at home?

My son is a C5 and is 2 years post. He works out at Project Walk three days a week and has made remarkable progress. Exercise based therapy works wonders. It doesn't guarantee walking but guarantees that you will feel better, get stronger, have fewer infections and has made the biggest difference in my son's mental state. I see people taking their first steps there all the time. It's a great place.
    Luke 5:24

tgoowin, I visited Project Walk when my son did his rehab in San Diego. At this moment it is not possible for us to go there due to distance and time off from work.
    We are trying to get the FES bike for him but his doctor won't prescribe it.