Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TiLite Titanium Flip-Back footrest

Huh. Very interesting. I think this would help me a lot for transfers...I'd like to try it out though.

Thanks a lot for the pix Brian....it is very helpful.

Glad they were helpful. Just be sure to note the bar runs around the back of the footplate, at the footplates lowest point, as the footplate generally runs slightly angled, so leave yourself enough ground clearence.

It has worked great thus far for me for transfers; I simply slide down far enough to get my feet in front of the foot plate, then pull on my leg causing my shoe to catch the plate and it folds up. (I do swing one leg over the leg bar and out of the way while doing this.)
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I am considering the flip-back footrest. The idea is to get the footrest out of the way to get closer to the cushion when transferring. Doing so should reduce transfer distance which should help to reduce stress on the shoulders. At least that is the idea. Two potential problems I see are: 1) the front vertical bars of the wheelchair may be in the way when transferring out of the wheelchair, and 2) a knee may get stuck in the front bar bend when transferring into the wheelchair. Any updates to this post which started a long time ago?

Here are the pictures no longer showing...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Here are the pictures no longer showing...
    Thanks. Looks promising except for one potential problem. If you flip back the foot rest and place your foot inside as you transfer into the wheelchair, then your forward motion will be restricted as your knee bumps the seat tubes about the front angle bend. The way around this is TiLite's feature called negative frame depth (the front bend starts before the cushion) plus a reduced front angle. The figures below compare the standard TiLite design where the bend starts 1" in front of the cushion with a 90 degree front angle vs the bend starting 3" farther back with a lesser angle. The more the negative frame depth and the lesser the angle, the greater the knee clearance. At least that is the idea. Haven't actually seen a wheelchair built this way. What is your experience?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For what it is worth, I purchased the flip back for the reason you want it, transfers, and my chairs had an added +1" and the other a +0.75" with an 85 degree front and I had no trouble transferring

Great news. For which type of transfer do you use it (for example, getting in and out, going up and down, car, or all)?

I used it for transferring into bed.

Prior to getting a TR, I was using a Quickie 2HP that had flip up footrests and if I tried sliding over with my feet on the footrests, my chair would move on me, so I knew I needed my feet on the gound. My current TR does not have the flip-back, rather I slide my feet off the front and slide my butt forward so my feet touch the floor, then slide over.

Do you ever use to transfer into the wheelchair?