Thread: Daughter in ATV accident

Daughter in ATV accident

Daughter recieved a T12 burst fracture in Feb. 2009. Spent 11 days in local hosptal before being transfered to Shepherd Center in Atlanta. Spent 2 and half months there with no return(Asia A). Since we've been home small things are happening, abs, left hip flexor. Still in therapy twice a week (walking with KAFO's). We were told by neurologist no spinal cord damage just a contussion. What's next?

It sounds as though she is getting some return of function, which is great. I am confused by the designation Asia A and also being told no spinal cord damage. That doesn't seem likely.

Hi dixie-mom and welcome. My son had a burst fracture at T12 also, he's ASIA A complete. I am thrilled to hear they've started your daughter with KAFO's so soon. We did our first round of therapy at TIRR in Houston and they offered NO hope and wanted to teach him to "live in a chair". He just got his own custom KAFO's last week and is doing great. The hip flexors are definately needed for the KAFO's.. Are they working on her balance in them? They have my son standing and trying to get to a point he can throw and catch a ball while in the braces.
    Has there been any discussion of treadmill therapy?
    Our son's hip flexors came back fairly quickly and his ab and adeductors came back a couple of months ago. He never lost his abs.
    Congratulations on the return and progress so far!
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Quote Originally Posted by dixie-mom View Post
    Daughter recieved a T12 burst fracture in Feb. 2009. Spent 11 days in local hosptal before being transfered to Shepherd Center in Atlanta. Spent 2 and half months there with no return(Asia A). Since we've been home small things are happening, abs, left hip flexor. Still in therapy twice a week (walking with KAFO's). We were told by neurologist no spinal cord damage just a contussion. What's next?
    I think you may have misunderstood the neurologist. Did he actually say that the cord is not severed, but instead contused? Most spinal cord injuries involve contusion (bruising), crushing, or loss of blood supply to the cord. It is very rare to have a cord physically severed. Regardless, the number of neurons that died as a result of contusion, crushing, etc. determines (at this time) the degree of cord damage, and you cannot really determine that for at least 2 years, and definitely not while still in spinal shock (which can take several months to subside). Only time will tell if she will continue to get more back. It is important that she still go to therapy to work on maximizing anything that does come back at this point.

Does she have sensation at her anus? If not, she would still be classified as an ASIA A at this time.

(KLD)

dixie-mom, I had a T12 burst but luckily I am incomplete. But have No control of my bowels and bladder and not much sensation of my anus. there was a T12 thread that was great reading but I can't find it to post a link. Please feel free to ask anything you like!

Hi Faithful1990, Understand exactly what you are talking about when you they only want to teach you to live from a chair. Daughter was never offered to try walking with KAFO's. I suppose when you considered an complete you're in different category. When Therapist from our hometown first started working with her on KAFO's they showed her the treadmill and told how it would help hold her weight. We have never had the chance to use it.

Has your son noticed after walking with KAFO's that he has weird feeling in his feet and legs?

Good Luck with future returns!

Dixie-mom,
    Isnt' it a shame? I refused to accept their phase 2 plans and the prognosis that our son would be bound to a chair, so I set out to find someone willing to give him a chance. It took a few months, but I found them and we have to drive 180 miles each way 3 days/week.
    They haven't used the treadmill on our son yet either. Right now, his KAFO's are locked at the knee and ankle, as his quads & glutes aren't there yet. He's had some firing in the glutes but not enough.
    He hasn't mentioned anything about his feet and legs after using the KAFO's, but after riding the FES bike, he's had tingling sensation in the knees and calves.
    His butt has the numb sensation most of the time, I thought that was a good sign, but he finds it rather annoying and chooses to try to ignore it.
    How old is your daughter? Our son was 17 at the time of his accident and turned 18 in the hospital.
    As far as what's next? We're going to keep going to PT/OT as long as we can, I'm sure when college starts his schedule will be too busy for three days/week. Have they worked on her OT skills, e.g., climbing stairs in the chair, getting from the floor to the chair, climbing curbs, these are important too.
    Good luck to you too and my prayers are with you and your family as you ride this roller coaster called, SCI!
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Hi Faithful1990. Daughter is 20. Her KAFO's are also locked at ankle and knee. She has not been working on OT skills very much just a few curbs and wheelies. She is spending most of her therapy walking and working on balance. At Shepherd they really made sure she knew what to do in case of emergency (falling in floor, tipping over).
    Good luck to your son! Let him know there's folks from North Carolina that is praying for him and family too.

Hi dixi-mom, How's your daughter doing now? Better, I hope. Prayers to your daughter, your family. Good luck & God bless.