Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppose to pass papers on my new house tomorrow in Florida

Suppose to pass papers on my new house tomorrow in Florida

Well the day has finally come. I drove to Florida and am suppose to pass papers on my new house tomorrow. Today is the Orientation at 10am, I'm up early as I cant sleep as I've been thinking about things. I contracted for the builder to build this house last Feb. Since that time things here have dropped even lower, the bank did a appraisal for my loan and it came in around 20 grand lower than what I'm suppose to be paying for the house tomorrow, so they are giving me a lower loan. The builder is now selling the houses around 20 grand less for the yet to be built houses meaning I could back out of this house order a new one, wait 5 months and save 20 grand, tempting because I really dont need the house until December anyhow and would also save about $7500.00 expenses until that time. So I'm thinking today I'm gonna stick to my guns and insist they at least drop the price 20 grand or I will walk away from this deal and contract on a new deal later. I know what they are going to throw in my face though, I had them build special features into this house for the wheelchair, wheel under counters, no door thresholds, etc. The total options including tile throughout instead of carpet amounted to around $9,500.00. Price on the new ones is now only $187,900.00. So that makes around $196,400.00. Price they want tomorrow is $216,500.00. They are going to use the excuse since I ordered the special wheelchair mods this was a custom build, they have not said this yet, I just have the feeling they are going to pull this. I know for a fact I have the right to walk away from this deal though being the appraisal is $20k lower and like I said I could order a new one for 20k lower if they would let me. Decisions, decisions, lol. Think I might just walk. This is a 10 percent difference they are trying to rip me off. Things have dropped further here in Florida since last feb, thats why the difference.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 07-27-2009 at 07:14 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Do you mean a property developer custom built you a house without taking an initial deposit and graduated payments as each stage was completed?

I would walk away, if his building skills are on a par with his business acumen the place is likely to collapse within a year!

Seriously, if the house is finished to a high standard and to your spec. negotiate hard and try to settle, it'll be a lot less hassle in the end.

No, I have 20k down, it is not a good situation at all. This housing crunch is a real compounding situation I've really learned and because of situations like this where someone like me wants to legitimately buy a house and cant it is proof to me of how bad things really are.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

u would be nutz to pay 20k over fmv in the area curt, absolutely nutz,. u would be startingt out upside down. get on the phone call them, dont wait till u r ready to sign. the papers will need to be redrawn
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Well the day has finally come. I drove to Florida and am suppose to pass papers on my new house tomorrow. Today is the Orientation at 10am, I'm up early as I cant sleep as I've been thinking about things. I contracted for the builder to build this house last Feb. Since that time things here have dropped even lower, the bank did a appraisal for my loan and it came in around 20 grand lower than what I'm suppose to be paying for the house tomorrow, so they are giving me a lower loan. The builder is now selling the houses around 20 grand less for the yet to be built houses meaning I could back out of this house order a new one, wait 5 months and save 20 grand, tempting because I really dont need the house until December anyhow and would also save about $7500.00 expenses until that time. So I'm thinking today I'm gonna stick to my guns and insist they at least drop the price 20 grand or I will walk away from this deal and contract on a new deal later. I know what they are going to throw in my face though, I had them build special features into this house for the wheelchair, wheel under counters, no door thresholds, etc. The total options including tile throughout instead of carpet amounted to around $9,500.00. Price on the new ones is now only $187,900.00. So that makes around $196,400.00. Price they want tomorrow is $216,500.00. They are going to use the excuse since I ordered the special wheelchair mods this was a custom build, they have not said this yet, I just have the feeling they are going to pull this. I know for a fact I have the right to walk away from this deal though being the appraisal is $20k lower and like I said I could order a new one for 20k lower if they would let me. Decisions, decisions, lol. Think I might just walk. This is a 10 percent difference they are trying to rip me off. Things have dropped further here in Florida since last feb, thats why the difference.
    but then again, if you back out and the price goes up 30 grand?????
    if it's a custom and you like it, go for it
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    No, I have 20k down, it is not a good situation at all. This housing crunch is a real compounding situation I've really learned and because of situations like this where someone like me wants to legitimately buy a house and cant it is proof to me of how bad things really are.
    If you pull out what happens to your 20k deposit Curt?

In the UK there's an old saying - "remember your house is not an investment it's your home".
    Last edited by Timaru; 07-27-2009 at 03:37 PM.

dont even go down, you can bargain better from up here
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    if you pull out what happens to your 20k deposit curt?

In the uk there's an old saying - "remember your house is not an investment it's your home".
    its a down payment not earnest monies. 20k goes when he signs........
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Curt, did your contract have an appraisal contingency, and if so, what did it say about your deposit in the event that the home did not appraise at or above the proposed purchase price? Seems that especially in a declining market, it would seem unreasonable to get a loan commitment so far out from the closing date.
    Daniel

Believe it or not I had a loan committment for that far in advance, I payed the mortgage company 1300 bucks to lock in on a rate of 5.125 from last Feb. They had no intentions of doing the mortgage no matter what so that turned out to be a scam anyhow, thats one reason I was left high and dry with not being able to close on the property as even with me making up the cash difference they still would not do the mortgage and stole my 350 dollar application fee and the 1300 dollar lock, I will probabley sue them to get at least that much back.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred