Thread: I have been diagnosed with spinocerebellar ataxia

Cool I have been diagnosed with spinocerebellar ataxia

I asked my neurologist what type, she said it was idiopathic adult-on set spinocerebellar ataxia - which is what type. I have had this since 42 yrs., now 53 yrs. Still drive a car. walk with a cane, sometimes use a walker and a scooter. Swim often - do I need to do other exercises to stenghthen my legs/calfs. I have braces on each leg - from toe to upper hip - because of my knee extentions. Do I need to think about muscle atrophy?

Quote Originally Posted by Fayeboo View Post
    I asked my neurologist what type, she said it was idiopathic adult-on set spinocerebellar ataxia - which is what type. I have had this since 42 yrs., now 53 yrs. Still drive a car. walk with a cane, sometimes use a walker and a scooter. Swim often - do I need to do other exercises to stenghthen my legs/calfs. I have braces on each leg - from toe to upper hip - because of my knee extentions. Do I need to think about muscle atrophy?
    Fayeboo,

There is an excellent summary of the condition on http://www.answers.com/topic/spinocerebellar-ataxia. There are 24 types, numerically named from SCA1 to SCA25 (no SCA9). You should ask your neurologist which numerical type. You should not worry about muscle atrophy.

Wise.

Cool Response to Dr. Wise question about the type

I emailed my neurologist to ask her - "When I contact support groups on ataxia, they ask me what type of spinocerebellar - so what type do I have"?
    Her response: "Your evaluations have not identified one of the specific types if spinocerebellar ataxias that have been described, most of which are genetic. I would call it idiopathic adult-onset spinocerebellar ataxia which simply means that the symptoms appear to be caused by problems in the cerebellum and possibly the spinal cord, we don't know the cause and it started in adulthood.