Thread: About Cauda Equina Syndrome

About Cauda Equina Syndrome

Hi does anyone knows life expectancy for people with L3/L5 burst fracture is around how many years? I have complete loss of bladder and bowel functions. Also, what do I need to be careful about with my condition?

Taking care of yourself-check ups, treating UTIs, no presure ulcers and other things that are deemed to be preventabe, seeing your doctor atleast annually, just staying on to of things like everyone needs to-normal life expectancy.

CWO

I had an L1 burst fracture, loss of bowel and bladder, and ended up an S1 para complete. Do you have any loss of feeling, paralysis left in legs or just the loss of bower and bladder?

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    I had an L1 burst fracture, loss of bowel and bladder, and ended up an S1 para complete. Do you have any loss of feeling, paralysis left in legs or just the loss of bower and bladder?
    I have partial loss of feeling in legs and I can manage to walk with a limp.

Sounds very similar to my injury, from waist down, no feeling, paralysis, some patchy feeling behind knees, and a little feeling in arch and big toes. Everything else doesnt work/cant feel. I walk, my right is weaker than my left, so I too have a limp, especially when I get tierd. I have a lot of pain low back, feet, hips, feet, and neuro pain in calves. My injury was April of 2003. So I am goin on 7 years, have some degeneration below injury/fusion, start of scoliosis apparently from the increase pressure on lower vert. If u have any questions, our injuries seem very similar, send me a message.

Sounds very similar to my injury, from waist down, no feeling, paralysis, some patchy feeling behind knees, and a little feeling in arch and big toes. Everything else doesnt work/cant feel. I walk, my right is weaker than my left, so I too have a limp, especially when I get tierd. I have a lot of pain low back, feet, hips, feet, and neuro pain in calves. My injury was April of 2003. So I am goin on 7 years, have some degeneration below injury/fusion, start of scoliosis apparently from the increase pressure on lower vert. If u have any questions, our injuries seem very similar, send me a message.
    Hey Medic1, good to hear that we have similar injuries. Similarly, my accident was in Mar 2003 due to a fall from height. My left leg is weaker as it has a fracture with a plate inserted into it, op done in 2003. Strangely, I do not feel much pain in my body except that I feel lethargic now and then. Do you feel anything when you do cath and manual evacs? I don't feel anything. These few days I feel very weak after the palpitation I had on 24 Jul morning 2.30 am and I went to A&E for checkup but they checked the heart and blood but results normal. I am wondering what is the cause of this.

wow, some articles by dr young about cauda equina syndrome at the bottom screen under simular threads. cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    wow, some articles by dr young about cauda equina syndrome at the bottom screen under simular threads. cool.
    hey jody thanks for the heads up!

I have same feeling of the lethargy/fatigue. I dont know what it is, nothing seems to help it. No feeling when I cath and do bowel program. I recently had the botox injections in my bladder for leaking. It has helped tremendously! I don't have any results with manual manuvers for bowel progam. I use the magic bullet for my program every other day. I frequently have palpatations, but have no idea as to what the cause is, heart speeds up several times a months for a couple of seconds, to where it is noticeable, and then just as fast as it starts it stops and goes normal. Not sure if it has to do with the medications I take or not. I put off the lethargy/fatigue to the medications. I have changed to healthy diet, exercise program, vitamins and there are no changes to the feeling. Something I think we will have to live with. I am not sure but I think the lethargy,fatigue comes in because we are not in chairs full time and are forcing our bodies to use muscle that dont work and depend more on muscles that continue to work. Even though we are more functional we are hurting ourselves bys forcing our bodies to use muscles to walk that ordinarily are not used as much. My walk is unsteady, unbalanced, my hips "drop", trendelinberg gait. The muscles are weak and overworked. I try to do my best, but I can tell that things are wearing out already. Cant walk as far, do as much, trying to conserve what I have and stay out of a chair full time for as long as I can.

I have same feeling of the lethargy/fatigue. I dont know what it is, nothing seems to help it. No feeling when I cath and do bowel program. I recently had the botox injections in my bladder for leaking. It has helped tremendously! I don't have any results with manual manuvers for bowel progam. I use the magic bullet for my program every other day. I frequently have palpatations, but have no idea as to what the cause is, heart speeds up several times a months for a couple of seconds, to where it is noticeable, and then just as fast as it starts it stops and goes normal. Not sure if it has to do with the medications I take or not. I put off the lethargy/fatigue to the medications. I have changed to healthy diet, exercise program, vitamins and there are no changes to the feeling. Something I think we will have to live with. I am not sure but I think the lethargy,fatigue comes in because we are not in chairs full time and are forcing our bodies to use muscle that dont work and depend more on muscles that continue to work. Even though we are more functional we are hurting ourselves bys forcing our bodies to use muscles to walk that ordinarily are not used as much. My walk is unsteady, unbalanced, my hips "drop", trendelinberg gait. The muscles are weak and overworked. I try to do my best, but I can tell that things are wearing out already. Cant walk as far, do as much, trying to conserve what I have and stay out of a chair full time for as long as I can.
    Hi I use ducolax suppository for bowel program also every other day. I also take sennokat tablets 2 every other day too. My situation is very similar to yours.