Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another wheelchair braking question...

Originally posted by teesieme:

I see. Yes, I noticed at the seating company, the Quickies brakes were similar to the older style of Colours, and with some modification they should work for now...but will check out as advised here otherwise~ Thanks!
    the biggest issue w/ the newer colors brakes(last 5 yrs) is the block they use, its big, allowing the scisor brake to flex and move. the quikie brake uses a block thats half the size of the colours unit. that is why they work so well. also there is no mods needed at all. i can snap a pic if u like

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    D's locks are THE BEST! I just ordered a new Quickie Titanium, and wouldn't order the chair without them!

My current chair is a "Terminator". I had all kinds of problems with the brakes slipping, and almost landed on the ground a few times!

When it rained, my chair used to slip away from me when transferring from my car.... NO MORE! Even with bald tires!

They are easy to maintain and remove and install onto another chair as well.

They cost around $300, but are well worth their price!

Once, I needed a replacement part and it was Fed Ex'd to me at no charge. They really stand behind their product. I highly recommend these brakes for any wheelchair user. You will be happy.

Originally posted by HSB:

D's locks are THE BEST! I just ordered a new Quickie Titanium, and wouldn't order the chair without them!

My current chair is a "Terminator". I had all kinds of problems with the brakes slipping, and almost landed on the ground a few times!

When it rained, my chair used to slip away from me when transferring from my car.... NO MORE! Even with bald tires!

Once, I needed a replacement part and it was Fed Ex'd to me at no charge. They really stand behind their product. I highly recommend these brakes for any wheelchair user. You will be happy.
    whats their web addy

Originally posted by fuentejps:

Originally posted by HSB:

whats their web addy
    Hi. I've been looking around and I can't find it anymore. They are listed on Spinlife.com, however. They are in San Diego, CA.

Hi again. Response to jimnms on D's locks: I ordered my new chair w/Spinergy wheels and was concerned when I saw your post stating that the locks wouldn't fit them.

I called the ownder of D's locks and asked him about this, and he said their locks will now work with Spinergy wheels.

I forgot to ask him if I could put his number here, but if you want it, send me an e-mail and I'll call him and ask him if it's okay. He's in San Diego. You can also order them through Spinlife.com. The D's locks web site is not currently working. I don't know if it's a server problem or if they took it down.

That's good to hear that they'll work on Spinergy's. How do they mount to the chair? I used to have a .pdf I downloaded from the site, and I couldn't really tell. It looked kind of like you have to replace the hub of the wheel though.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

The aluminum hub is mounted to the wheel. The piston housing is mounted onto the frame. A cable goes from the piston housing to the levers, which can be mounted anywhere, but usually on the front frame, just under the seat. When the levers are pushed, the cable pushes the piston out of the housing, which then engages into one of the holes on the hub. The opposite happens when the levers are pulled. Special set ups can be made for only one lever if a person only has use of one hand. The levers are very easily pushed and pulled and can be done with only one finger!

When the brakes are engaged the chair does not move at all. There's a picture of them on the spinlife.com web site.

Here is their website:

http://www.dslocks.net/

(KLD)

The Quickie brakes fit on the Colours chair easy enough!!! No parts to make~ work really well. THANK YOU!

Originally posted by teesieme:

The Quickie brakes fit on the Colours chair easy enough!!! No parts to make~ work really well. THANK YOU!
    great teesieme, is he happy w/ them