Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another wheelchair braking question...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another wheelchair braking question...

Okay, this an endless problem for my son's chair. He has a Boing and there are only two brake types available, the scissors and a rather large lever type. Neither will hold his chair in place. The old type brake they had worked but his dad had to modify them by making an extension for them to stay out of the way and still reach, holding it is place well...and within six months the bolt holes have worn out.
    The suggestion was made through Colours to try a type of brake used for inclines, from the following website: http://www.edmond-wheelchair.com/grade_aids.htm

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of these type brakes or any suggestions again?

I think my son is active enough in and out of his chair constantly that he is just plain old wearing it out in one way or another every six months or so, thus he needs a braking system out of the way and strong enough to not need this constant readjustment, replacement.

Grade aids or hill-holders are not brakes. They are a device that you flip into place when going up hill that prevent your chair from going backwards. We call them thumb squishers as they often do just that if you are not careful, and many remove them for this reason.

Have you considered hub locks like the D's Locks discussed in the previous thread?

(KLD)

Ouch! $$$ price~

But then again if one keeps wearing out the average type brake available or is in need so often maybe insurance would be able to justify their "need"...

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Grade aids or hill-holders are not brakes. They are a device that you flip into place when going up hill that prevent your chair from going backwards. We call them thumb squishers as they often do just that if you are not careful, and many remove them for this reason.

Have you considered hub locks like the D's Locks discussed in the previous thread?

(KLD)
    TY for the information, I wondered about them looking at the website pics!

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 10-06-04 at 09:32 PM.]

i run colours chairs exclusivly, and i ran a new boing for a year, then back to eclipses. the only brakes that hold are quickie reverse lock scissor brakes w/ the short block. those w/ primo all terrain tires and he will be very happy. what happens w/ colours brakes iws they flex when applied. these dont. im 6'2 220 and they hold for me. call sportaid and ask for them. they mount under the seat.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

(KLD)
    D's locks are only available on certain wheels. I have Spinergy wheels and I was told they don't fit Spinergy's.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Some good ideas here. I will check into them! I often wondered about the Boing flexing, if that could be part of the problem, makes sense~ thanks for the help.

Originally posted by teesieme:

Some good ideas here. I will check into them! I often wondered about the Boing flexing, if that could be part of the problem, makes sense~ thanks for the help.
    no its not the boing flexing, its the brake flexing. i tried every brake out there, mechanical wise. then i stumbled on the quickie brake. i would never spend big bucks on a brake. the brakes mentioned below are a novel concept but not practical for a high performance ultralight. i think the quickie brake and block is 110.00.

I see. Yes, I noticed at the seating company, the Quickies brakes were similar to the older style of Colours, and with some modification they should work for now...but will check out as advised here otherwise~ Thanks!