Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming up on two yrs

Coming up on two yrs

On 072509 i will be two years for me in a chair. It has not seemed like two years and I still having some problems with it. I had a patch of screwing around in the chair and ended up falling out of it adn was just thinking that by now I should be able to stay in this dam thing. My kids adusted very well but still ask me to do stuff that I am not able to do. I have gotten the bowel/bladder thing down to a science so that part I am good to go but just can't get used to this dam chair. Anyone else have this problem and if so does it pass or no. Thanks for listening.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Thanks for Nothing

Sorry I wasn't here much this week. Well glad you got b&b down. That's a biggy! Was for me & still is 19 yrs post. I'm definately use to my chair. I don't like the one I have now but I'm use to it. How did you fall out? Wear a belt. I wear a chest strap. It keeps me in. lol

Quote Originally Posted by RJP View Post
    On 072509 i will be two years for me in a chair. It has not seemed like two years and I still having some problems with it. I had a patch of screwing around in the chair and ended up falling out of it adn was just thinking that by now I should be able to stay in this dam thing. My kids adusted very well but still ask me to do stuff that I am not able to do. I have gotten the bowel/bladder thing down to a science so that part I am good to go but just can't get used to this dam chair. Anyone else have this problem and if so does it pass or no. Thanks for listening.
    Glad you got the bladder/bowel down RJP - some can never get it down, and struggle their whole lives. You sound like you're doing ok for only 2 years post. The first 2-3 years are the toughest. It'll get better. As to getting used to the chair, well, I'm coming up on 23 years and am still not 'used' to it. I hate the damned thing, and even now, I still fall out of it once in awhile. I'm glad your kids have adjusted, that's a big thing for kids to get used to. All I can say is live as full a life as you can, and keep hope for a cure burning somewhere within you - but don't let that hope rule your life. I live life assuming I won't be cured, but that doesn't alter the fact I hope a cure is found, if not for me, then for those younger or those yet to suffer a sci. Best of luck friend.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Don't know if anyone gets used to it, it's just there and part of your life, can't change it, still doesn't mean you have to like it. The first time I fell out of mine it scared the hell out of me, thats when I decided I had to learn how to get back in it. 39 years post and yeah, I use it every day. Enjoy life and those kids!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Thanks

I appreciate all the responses and yes I will enjoy those kids Thanks oldtimer. I do not use a seat belt but the times I have fallen out of the chair I was beening pulled out by my neighbors son on a little atv that he was pulling me around with. I know that I will never get used to this chair cuz face it I dont believe anyone was made to be in a chair for the rest of there lives. Once again I thank you and good luck to all

i'm about 2 1/2 yrs post, and i can't get back in the damn chair. i've tried so hard, watched a friend do it....still a no go for me. my friend has been paralyzed for about 15yrs, and he makes it look so easy. i just figured out how to get on the couch from the floor.
    i've launched myself out of my scooter more than a few times. i don't wear the seatbelt. if i'm going to tip, i don't want the scooter attached to me. i'd rather not have it fall on me.
    and no, i'm not use to it. i hate it. and i never want to get use to it. i want to walk, and i think by accepting the chair, i'm giving up on walking. that might be the wrong way to feel, but thats how i handle it.

marielea

I hear ya there I feel the same way if I somehow accept the fat that I will be in this chair forever that I will never be able to walk again. I used towalk with afo/kfos about 100 feet or so but it was really ruff on upper body/shoulders and I figured I should look into the future of my upper body and lay off for awhile but now the nurse has me worried about the leg being bent thing so I think I might start walking again at least once or twice a week.

hey rjp-
    i've been in my chair or rather falling outta it for 5yrs now. i'll never be used to it but realize the chair gives me freedom along with my vehicle since now i can go where i want when i want...my last name is walker and u name it i played it sports-wise. talk about a cruel irony that now ms walker cannot walk..grr but life is short so u gotta enjoy it while u can..

Kel13

Hey kel13 thanks for the reply. I felt the same way until I was able to get back behind the wheel. I was hurt 072507 and was back behind the wheel in 1107. I was going to try wheelchair softball but the clsest game/team was in my old neighborhood Cicero, Illinois about an hour from me now. I don't know, I have my good days and bad days like everyone else but it gets worse when I try to do something i used to be able to do and can't even do it at all. O well what can you do.