Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Walk Aide "Miracle in a Box"

CBS airs almost cruelly misleading piece on paraplegia

By Gary Schwitzer on July 24, 2009 10:16 AM | 1 Comment

Former Washington Post health section editor Craig Stoltz, one of our reviewers on HealthNewsReview.org, called it "almost cruelly misleading" the way the CBS Early Show dealt with what it called a "new device helps paraplegics walk again."

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...u=6Q_OK&ref=mf
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

That was comedy. I can only hope to walk without assistance AND regular gait speed (people forget about that) in 6 years. She is obviously incomplete, but I'd assume shse worked EXTRA hard to go no assistance. I respect that. Don't respect CBS, that's some bullshit, miracle device? how much did they get for sponsoring that. what a shame.

I didn't think this story was cruel. It gave me hope that "technology" just might end up helping the sci community sooner than medicine. I'm beginning to feel that the whole stem cell "cure/therapies" are a very long way off. However, just when you think the techies can't invent one more thing, they do! The Walk Aide may be just the beginning of greater things to come.

It's just one more thing that the average person will think we need to solve our paralysis.Yes,great for improving a "walkers" gait,but useless to the rest of us.The media needs to really present stuff like this better,esp. in a time when everyone is pushing for stem cell research & treatment.People see this and probably think paralysis "is" already being solved.It's a shame & probable set back in peoples judgement of stem cells imo.

Molly,I wondered the same thing.I tried the Eurgis(however you spell that thing CR had made)for months and never responded to the electrical stim.I did get some hellacious nerve pain though.

My miracle

I found this site after googling my name. I am Tina Mann- the person discussed in the Early Show segment on walkaide. I noticed there were some questions about my injury and how walkaide works.

I am T10-12 incomplete- 8 1/2 years post injury. I spent 2 years in a wheelchair and was given a 30% chance of getting functional return. I began walking with KAFO's (long leg braces) then slowly progressed to AFO (short leg braces).

First I would like to say I had a miraculous response to walkaide... it does not do this for everyone- every injury is different and effects different things.

The purpose of walkaide is to produce dorsiflexion (picking the foot up) when walking... that is all. however in my case it returns proprioception (feeling where my leg is when moving) That is why my response is so great.

It only works if the peripheral nerves are intact (nerves that branch from the spinal cord)- and the spinal cord itself has to be partially intact (which can happen after the injury) you have to be able to walk- you can use braces, walkers, canes, crutches- but you need to be able to take at least a couple steps.

I also work as an orthotist- and I fit walkaide on other patients. i would highly reccommend finding a practitioner and having an evaluation. It doesn't cost anything and you will know whether it will work for you. I work in Orlando- for a company called Hanger Orthotics and Prosthetics. hanger has 700 offices throughout the country- you an go to Hanger.com and find a facility near your home (or if you vacation in Orlando swing by my office and I'll work with you for awhile).

Any more question please ask- I really believe in this product and love seeing it transform peoples lives!

Tina mann

"Impossible is an opinion, not a fact"

Quote Originally Posted by Tina430 View Post
    I found this site after googling my name. I am Tina Mann- the person discussed in the Early Show segment on walkaide. I noticed there were some questions about my injury and how walkaide works.

I am T10-12 incomplete- 8 1/2 years post injury. I spent 2 years in a wheelchair and was given a 30% chance of getting functional return. I began walking with KAFO's (long leg braces) then slowly progressed to AFO (short leg braces).

First I would like to say I had a miraculous response to walkaide... it does not do this for everyone- every injury is different and effects different things.

The purpose of walkaide is to produce dorsiflexion (picking the foot up) when walking... that is all. however in my case it returns proprioception (feeling where my leg is when moving) That is why my response is so great.

It only works if the peripheral nerves are intact (nerves that branch from the spinal cord)- and the spinal cord itself has to be partially intact (which can happen after the injury) you have to be able to walk- you can use braces, walkers, canes, crutches- but you need to be able to take at least a couple steps.

I also work as an orthotist- and I fit walkaide on other patients. i would highly reccommend finding a practitioner and having an evaluation. It doesn't cost anything and you will know whether it will work for you. I work in Orlando- for a company called Hanger Orthotics and Prosthetics. hanger has 700 offices throughout the country- you an go to Hanger.com and find a facility near your home (or if you vacation in Orlando swing by my office and I'll work with you for awhile).

Any more question please ask- I really believe in this product and love seeing it transform peoples lives!

Tina mann

Tina,

Thank you so much for posting. I disagree with the criticism of the segment. While it could have been misinterpreted by some people, I give people much more credit than the critics of the segment seem to have. After seeing the piece, nobody with spinal cord injury would be misled about what the device is and what it can accomplish. The fact that it really helped you is important. In my opinion, the outrage about giving people false hope was perhaps more overblown than the segment itself.

I saw the segment and am impressed that it seemed to be helping you quite a lot. As you may know, there have been a similar stimulation devices that have been used for years from Lubyana, the rehabilitation center in Yugoslavia that innovated much of the this stimulation approach.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina430 View Post

Tina mann

Maybe this can get me on one cane or no assist? I am a high para (T4), walking with no braces, and forearm crutches full-time - I have been injured for 2 years.

this product may just help with my weak right ankle, it probably won't help with my tight right knee (won't bend all the way, thus right leg won't lift all the way). However there is speculation that the bending of my knee, and ankle or related to one long nerve (cant remember the name)

Are there any evaluation centers in Southern Cali? If so I will be there the next day........

edit: just checked the site.

Users of the WalkAide are people who have lost the ability to voluntarily lift their foot, often as a result of damage to the central nervous system such as stroke, incomplete spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis. This type of stimulation will not work with people who have damage to the lower motor neurons/peripheral nerves.
    CBS should have given this disclaimer tho.
    Last edited by Imight; 07-27-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post

Are there any evaluation centers in Southern Cali? If so I will be there the next day.....
    Found one in Encino about 15 min from my house. Will be contacting them tomorrow morning....

Well, I have an appt wednesday at 2pm. They are going to fit them and test it out. Wish me luck, will keep you guys posted....

And I have one on Friday at 1:00 let's see if it helps.