Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birth control

Birth control pills caused my blood clot.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

In regards to birth control not working when on antibiotics...how long after finishing the antibiotic can you expect the pill to start working again?
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

After I got SCI my monthly visitor left for 2 years which to me was great. Then it came back worse than ever and I promptly got on the depo shot in '06. I'm on long-term antibiotics for utis n stuff but never get my period and have no plans of having kids. I had a blood clot while in rehab in '04 but nothing since then. I'm a c7-t1 super incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    I love my IUD (I have the Mirena), but I think you need to have had a child before one can be inserted, because the cervix has to have been stretched...?
    I had a Mirena IUD in 2 years ago, but it fell out after 2 weeks, so I never got another one put back in. I have never had a baby, but my gyno told me that she's put them in several developmentally disabled women who have never had children, and has not had any problems. It did hurt badly to get one put in me, but the pain lasts for only a couple minutes as the device is being put in your uterus.

Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    hey jessie, I just found out I have an Ovarian Cyst. Was looking for some information on what to expect? symptoms? problems? treatments? would appreciate any information.
    Look on WebMd on ovarian cysts, and you'll get a lot of information on the different types of them. Most of them don't cause any problems and eventually go away on their own. There are a couple, like mine, who decide to stick around and gradually get larger. My doctor thinks I might have an endometrial ovarian cyst, because of how heavy my periods have been ever since the cyst started to grow larger. My caregivers compare my flow to to someone who'd just had a baby.
    As far as other symptoms, I get a bit of cramping twinge-like pain 2 weeks before my period in the area where the cyst is, but that doesn't bug me one bit. If the cyst were to twist or rupture, I've read that it hurts badly, but I haven't had this happen to me so far.
    My doctor put me on the Pill to see if it would slow my periods down and shrink the cyst, but she said that if it didn't do anything, she'd remove the cyst laprascopically.

You might want to also read the book "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdon" by. Christiane Northrup. This book also has information on ovarian cysts and some natural ways to reduce or eliminate them among other good advice.

Jessie

Thanks so much for the information J.G. It is very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray View Post
    I had a Mirena IUD in 2 years ago, but it fell out after 2 weeks, so I never got another one put back in. I have never had a baby, but my gyno told me that she's put them in several developmentally disabled women who have never had children, and has not had any problems. It did hurt badly to get one put in me, but the pain lasts for only a couple minutes as the device is being put in your uterus.

Jessie
    why does this not surprise me?
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

People with SCI should not use estrogen birth control because it causes bloodclots. However, a np from planned parenthood told me that women with scis can use progesterone only pills that they take even when they are menstruating. it's not like estrogen bc where you stop the pill when you get your period. The np also said that women can use the depo provera shot, condoms and an iud that does not contain hormones such as pro guard. Also, many ob/gyns do not know this so please please do your research because blood clots can cause strokes or even kill you.

i would give a word of caution for using depo-provera shots. I've heard they deplete calcium from your bones and since we are sci and probably already losing calcium, i'd ask your doc if this side effect should be concerning.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    i would give a word of caution for using depo-provera shots. I've heard they deplete calcium from your bones and since we are sci and probably already losing calcium, i'd ask your doc if this side effect should be concerning.
    I've heard that too, that most of the people who have been on Depo-Provera have osteoperosis later in life, and the risk goes up the longer you are on that shot.

Jessie