Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birth control

Birth control

I searched the site and really haven't been able to find much information so wanted to see what kind of experiences everyone has had... I want to get on birth control but just have a couple of concerns; one was about blood clots and if there really is much more of a chance of getting them while on bc because of sci. Another was that I heard that there is a possibility of it not being effective or as effective when taking certain medications or antibiotics and wanted to clear it up or get it confirmed... I wouldn't want to be counting on it and find out later it doesn't work!

One more thing... anyone fond of any certain pill, or any other type of bc?

Thanks
    Every second brings a fresh beginning every hour holds a new promise every night dreams can bring hope and every day is what we choose to make it

Birth control does not work on antibiotics. Confirmed.

Yasmine has diuretic properties which I liked, but also had too much progesterone causing some skin disruptions (eczema like) for me.

Good luck in your search!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I used depo-provera and hated it. Now after my second kid I got an IUD....I love it but wish I'd tried the Mirena IUD because it can stop your periods!
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I believe there is a much higher risk of blood clots for people with sci who use birth control pills. I know my gf uses a Morena, and it seems to do the trick without risk of blood clots. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_tea_nus View Post
    I searched the site and really haven't been able to find much information so wanted to see what kind of experiences everyone has had... I want to get on birth control but just have a couple of concerns; one was about blood clots and if there really is much more of a chance of getting them while on bc because of sci. Another was that I heard that there is a possibility of it not being effective or as effective when taking certain medications or antibiotics and wanted to clear it up or get it confirmed... I wouldn't want to be counting on it and find out later it doesn't work!

One more thing... anyone fond of any certain pill, or any other type of bc?

Thanks
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

My doctor told me that there is a much higher risk for blood clots. There is one pill you can take, but it's not as effective as the other bc pills out there. The other options were the depo shot (where they expect 10lbs weight gain/year) or the IUD. I'm using the Mirena IUD and I have no complaints.

I've been on Depo Provera and absolutely hated it! Even though it stoped my periods and stuff, I got hot flashes, migrane headaches, weight gain, severe acne, and started producing breastmilk even though I had never been pregnant (the doc told me that in some women, it can increase a certain hormone that causes milk production too much and that's what causes it). I stayed on it for 2 years and stoped getting the shots.

I have heard that the NuvaRing is better than the pills in terms of blood clots and stuff like that. Currently, I am on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, but its to stop a prolonged mentrual period caused by ovarian cysts, not for birth control.

Jessie

hey jessie, I just found out I have an Ovarian Cyst. Was looking for some information on what to expect? symptoms? problems? treatments? would appreciate any information.

I love my IUD (I have the Mirena), but I think you need to have had a child before one can be inserted, because the cervix has to have been stretched...?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Birth control does not work on antibiotics. Confirmed.
    Thanks lynnifer... right now I am on long-term antibiotics which I hope to get off of soon, but until then we are definitely sticking with condoms.

And thanks everyone else for sharing your experiences, gives me something more to work with
    Every second brings a fresh beginning every hour holds a new promise every night dreams can bring hope and every day is what we choose to make it

i definitely recommend the Mirena IUD. I haven't had kids and it worked fine being put in. I was told they say women with kids because if your cervix/uterus is too small from never having kids the iud could be too big to fit in. I still get periods unfortunately but they are much lighter and my spasms aren't as bad during my period as before. You dont have the blood clot risk and it's the most effective birth control besides abstinence (something like 99.8% effective) no messing with pills or shots. It lasts 5 years too!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson