Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: $10,000.00+ For a Tilite ZR

in my case my copay was based off the inflated price thou. its all about margins.
    heres mine

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    First, I would like to thank Josh for joining the conversation. I think it's important that people in the industry dialogue directly with the consumer.

I think that in addition to the exorbitant price T4M paid -- or OK'd -- for his ZR, he also grossly overpaid for his cushion and backrest. In most retail experiences that I'm familiar with, dealers usually discount off the MSRP not jack it up. Take as a quick example TiLite's base price (before options) for a ZR, $2,895; the base price for T4M's was $4,053, a 29% markup!! Is a 29% markup considered "reasonable and customary"?

I'll give someone else here the opportunity to take T4M's itemized list and come up with an approximate cost for the identical chair purchased from Sportaid, Spinlife, Bike-On, or other reputable online vendors. I realize that some DMEs provide after-sale service or other such ancillary support, however, I still don't think it justifies what I consider to be the DEEP FINGER gouging exercised by United Seating & Mobility of Brooklyn Heights, OH, T4M's vendor. How do the bean counters at T4M's insurance company green light these hyped prices? Since when does an insurance company not know how to say "No!"

Something's still very wrong with this picture and it has real life consequences for all of us. We all need DME equipment and we need it to remain affordable and available. Certainly DME providers don't want to produce products that their target market can't reasonably purchase.

I believe that it's within the power of DME manufacturers to establish terms regarding pricing for their chain of authorized dealers which sets caps on how high (or low) their products can retail for.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The truth is the OP didn't get screwed -- he paid $0 out of pocket -- WE, health consumers coast to coast got screwed, and get screwed every time an opportunist vendor, and their insurance company enablers, gouges the system.
    Stephen, you are right he didn't get screw but the rest of us are by selling a chair for that ridiculous price. The DME did not need to get any $$ for T4min when they made plenty of money off the chair itself. I don't fault T4min I blame the DME.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    injecting is way better for your body. but imo opinion its the only safe way

wow - i'm in the wrong biz! i should switch from custom bikes to custom chairs! FWIW, i paid $2600.00 for my Quicky Ti out of pocket & i'm very happy with it........i even got a Roho thrown in for free. wrote it off as a buisness expense as i work in a chair & cruise around the rest of the world on crutches......i got the cheap wheels, but i build wheels so i figure when they are shot i'll lace up some Phil Wood hubs & call it good. amazing, you could have almost bough TWO one-off handcycles for that price & they have allot more going on...........

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    its all about margins.
    Which is BS.

Doesn't MSRP include a cut for a dealer? (rhetorical)

Consider the automotive industry. Imagine if a $30,000.00 car was sold for $100,000.00 (with a few extra options), just b/c someone else was paying the bill. Wouldn't people go ballistic? That'd make national news.

In the medical industry, apparently some manufacturers are okay with it, as evidence shows in this thread.

It's absurd.

i agree, tilite shouldnt let it happen, i know for a fact some in upper managment there do not like it
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Which is BS.

Consider the automotive industry. Imagine if a $30,000.00 car was sold for $100,000.00 (with a few extra options), just b/c someone else was paying the bill. Wouldn't people go ballistic? That'd make national news.

In the medical industry, apparently some manufacturers are okay with it, as evidence shows in this thread.

It's absurd.
    Scott, The car purchase analogy frames the argument perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Which is BS.

It's absurd.

In the automotive industry its called "Dealer Adjusted Markup". The dealer tries to make as much as they can for as long as they can.especially on the new and high demand models.
    July 2006 T3/T4 Para

Out of all the schooling and course work and parenting i received, i can't help but think someone should have warned me about this....Paralysis Blows.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post

TiLite makes some of the highest quality, best engineered, titanium chairs out there. The way I see the industry going, I think an increasing proportion of your customers will be paying out-of-pocket. However, the MSRP of both your chairs and parts appears to be based on the traditional reimbursement model. To appeal to those who are willing to pay out-of-pocket, I think your whole pricing structure needs to be examined and that mechanisms are put in place so that knowledgeable end users can deal directly with your company and not a DME--especially for parts after the sale.

Oh and as far as the $650 upcharge for the polished finish, look what I was able to do for <$20 since we talked at ISS...
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=120996&page=2
    SCI - Whats the traditional reimbursement model? And BTW - your chair looks sweet! in the first pic, is that a rainbow sheen or just the picture? Props on the "do it yourslef job. I think i'd rather pay someone else to do it tho.
    July 2006 T3/T4 Para

Out of all the schooling and course work and parenting i received, i can't help but think someone should have warned me about this....Paralysis Blows.

Quote Originally Posted by VanderHooch View Post
    SCI - Whats the traditional reimbursement model?
    TiLite explains it in their own words here...

The "off chair" (parts not ordered when the chair is ordered) pricing of Ti-Lite parts is pretty ourageous it seems. When my orginal clothing guards bit the dust I wanted to upgrade to the ones that fold down onto the seat. I was quoted $600 Canadian by my dealer.

Why are parts/accessories that are purchased seperatel price differently then they would be if you ordered them with a chair?