Thread: colostomy irrigation questions

colostomy irrigation questions

Are there any long-term effects to irrigating such as the colon becoming dependent on it? And since I need assistance with it, is it possible to damage or cause irritation to the stoma with the cone shaped thing on the irrigation bag? There seems to be a technique to holding it just right so that the water flows well.

I've been doing it and like the results. My pouch is empty and it gives me a better overall feeling afterward.

The answer to your question is a resounding no. The colon does not become dependent on irrigation. You can start and stop it whenever you want and your colon will do its thing so don't worry there.
    2nd question: I don't even bother lubricating the silicone cone since the stoma produces its own mucous. I don't think that pressing the cone firmly into the stoma is going to hurt it. I wouldn't jam it, but I hold reasonable pressure on it to keep the water flowing in. You are right, you have to get the right angle with holding the cone for you - what I do is watch the little spinner thingy that is on the irrigation resevoir set up on the coloplast bag. I think other companies have a little spinner thingy that allows you to see that water is flowing in. Then you adjust the angle of the cone to make sure it is spinning the best you can. The other trick is to hang the resevoir bag high up to increase the pressure of the water going into it. I hang it at standing shoulder height and then sit back in my W/C.
    I hope this helps,

Hey arndog, what set up do you use to irrigate? Is it a complete system?

I would very much like to have this option before a flight, or such.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thank you Arndog for your replies in the colostomy threads and PMs. That sounds great.

I'm traveling cross-country to be in a wedding next month and irrigating will definitely be nice not having to worry about my pouch.

I have a Hollister product that doesn't appear to have a flow indicator like you've mentioned.

It depends where your colostomy is- some require the irrigation too empty out but one of the main reasons for the irrigation is to clean it out and so you won't have any " accidents" and you can have better control over the timing.
    Even if there is irritation it will heal- the osotmy is very vascular so you might see blood, as long as it is a small amount and the bleeding doesn't last long you don't need to worry. You can apply pressure to the area if it bleeding.

CWO

Thanks SCI-nurse. It is a descending colostomy I think.

Deadeye - Here is what I do after having this for 7 years. I use a Coloplast resevoir with the built in thermometer. I use only one piece appliances, either a coloplast stoma cap or a 5 inch minibag. If I am feeling lucky , I can use AMPatches which are just a glorified bandaid that can absorb mucous for about 24 hours. They are great.
    I use Convatec sleeves cause I like the zip lock feature. I attach it directly to my skin using a belt and just press it against the skin.
    I use about 1500 cc of luke warm water. I am done in 1 hour. Take a shower without any appliance and then dry off and put on one of those appliances I mentioned. I do this every 48 hours.....
    This is where I am at after 7 years of experimentation.......
    later
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Deadeye - Here is what I do after having this for 7 years. I use a Coloplast resevoir with the built in thermometer. I use only one piece appliances, either a coloplast stoma cap or a 5 inch minibag. If I am feeling lucky , I can use AMPatches which are just a glorified bandaid that can absorb mucous for about 24 hours. They are great.
    I use Convatec sleeves cause I like the zip lock feature. I attach it directly to my skin using a belt and just press it against the skin.
    I use about 1500 cc of luke warm water. I am done in 1 hour. Take a shower without any appliance and then dry off and put on one of those appliances I mentioned. I do this every 48 hours.....
    This is where I am at after 7 years of experimentation.......
    later
    Jon
    Thanks Jon, I'll check it out.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein