Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gold plated zr w/ built in testicle tickler

Gold plated zr w/ built in testicle tickler

Ok, so we were discussing chair prices and getting ass raped by dme's so heres my new zr cost.
    Fyi- atg was upfront w/ me, and have been good to work with. Their margins are just steep. Unlike many dme's, they arent shady w/ the billing, it is what it is.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Not trying to bust your balls, John, but you wrote somewhere around here a few days ago that your ZR is almost 2 years old. However, according to this thread that you started it's actually closer to 14 months old. I know, time flies. Granted you have new insurance and the opportunity for a new chair, but was buying a new chair this soon really a necessity? I'd like to think that your current chair was built sturdily enough to live a longer life. We can all rail against insurance companies and DMEs but consumers (that means all of us collectively, not singling out John) are co-enablers of the health care crisis.

Nah shes an 07, she sat in the loft for quit awhile b4 i messed w/ it, was still recovering from staph and finishing building my house when i got it,... And the down tubes needed modified, nop blax and wrong cushion..... To be exact i just pulled the paperwork out of my file was delivered may 2007.

Doesnt matter to me if it was 1 year old, i still would have got a new one. New ins= new chair, always.

Besides, i shouldnt matter if someone gets a chair every 6 mths, doesnt justify what dme's do. ins co's suck but ill be the first to say my premiums havent changed but maybe 50 bucks in 15 years. as for a health care crisis i dont get it, if ppl would work they would have decent healthcare. now i agree the self employed get screwed, but i have zero sympathy for those on medicaid that are capable of working but chosse not to.

based on that quote when its broke down, atg is pocketing around 4500, for doing NOTHING , i do everything myself.

fyi- my ins pays 2250 on that base frame, atg gets it for around 1900, see my point. thoise misc codes r where they make money, why?? because they are payed on a % of whats billed.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 07-22-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

re: insurance I'm pretty sure it all depends on the benefit plan, some are percentage, some are flat rate ("UC"), some are 100% if in network, some with medical management, others without, etc, etc. Any combination you want is available, for a price.

re: chair prices, my Mg, spec'd out on Sportaid lists for $8,100. I was quoted~$7,500 at a trade show and then a much better than expected discount off of that (for making the trip to the show to be fitted, i was told). After ins. my out of pocket cost wasn't much more than it was for the Quickie GT I got coming out of the hospital or what fuente's paying.

Insurance companies are getting ripped off, but ultimately you and I are the ones being ripped off because you can be CERTAIN every profitable insurance company in business is passing their risk and exposure to those high prices right on down to you and I through premiums, copays and deductibles. The house ALWAYS wins.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

The days of new ins = new chair, always are soon to be at an end, IMO. This is catching on so fast every insurance company in the nation will be using something like this soon, it'll be Federal mandate, (it's part of HIPAA not implemented yet), soon. I know the Sentara network and BC/BS have combined their utilization data with MiB and that United is on the way. Most, if not all, State medicaid providers are required to send utilization data for integration in national fraud prevention databases. If insurance wasn't evil enough, they're all going to be talking together to make themselves even more evil, which means 'profitable' in insurance speak.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

i dont think that will effect anything. there have been a few times when my co, had bc/bs then med mutual then back to bc/bs few years later. never has had an impact on my chairs.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

As we say, no offense meant, not that fuentejps gets easily offended, but I gotta say it how I feel, it seems a bit crappy to me to buy a chair unneeded just because you can and then charge the insurance company inflated prices. As Stephen mentions above, we the people end up paying one way or the other. I am sure some of this stems from my frustration of being in a 10 year old chair and being told no by my insurance. "Maybe" if there was less "excess", or whatever one wants to call it, my insurance wouldn't be denying me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    As we say, no offense meant, not that fuentejps gets easily offended, but I gotta say it how I feel, it seems a bit crappy to me to buy a chair unneeded just because you can and then charge the insurance company inflated prices. As Stephen mentions above, we the people end up paying one way or the other. I am sure some of this stems from my frustration of being in a 10 year old chair and being told no by my insurance. "Maybe" if there was less "excess", or whatever one wants to call it, my insurance wouldn't be denying me.
    i feel for u, but i dont agree. after 2 years my chairs are cosmetically shitty looking, i cant go to work in something i feel looks like shit. just wont do it, i would buy out of pocket if needed, and will when the time comes.......i dont wear my shoes out either but i still buy alot of expensive johnston & murphy shoes. all things are relative.

what kind of policy do u have, do u work, group plan. i have never heard of the obstacles your encountering.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    what kind of policy do u have, do u work, group plan. i have never heard of the obstacles your encountering.
    Nor have I, it is rediculous. Even the company I was working with to order the chair was quite surprised at their policy.

I do work and have a group marketing plan, whatever that means, it says it on my card. Coifinity.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i feel for u, but i dont agree. after 2 years my chairs are cosmetically shitty looking, i cant go to work in something i feel looks like shit. just wont do it, i would buy out of pocket if needed, and will when the time comes.......i dont wear my shoes out either but i still buy alot of expensive johnston & murphy shoes.
    I certainly can understand you not wanting to be in a chair that looks bad. That said, show me where it looks so bad. Also, if it does, I have mixed feelings on this in that if you can't keep your chair in good shape after two years of use I am not sure that is the insurance companies fault.

Your shoe analogy is irrelevant as that is a personal choice.

This still doesn't address the inflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Nor have I, it is rediculous. Even the company I was working with to order the chair was quite surprised at their policy.

I do work and have a group marketing plan, whatever that means, it says it on my card. Coifinity.

I certainly can understand you not wanting to be in a chair that looks bad. That said, show me where it looks so bad. Also, if it does, I have mixed feelings on this in that if you can't keep your chair in good shape after two years of use I am not sure that is the insurance companies fault.

Your shoe analogy is irrelevant as that is a personal choice.

This still doesn't address the inflated prices.
    again, we can agree to disagree, this is the way it is and will continue to be. i pay the premium, so i get what i want. no need to argue, if i wear you i would be bitter too.. i guess my question to u would be why in 10 years havent u just saved and bought a new chair?? you work, 3-4k isnt a ton of monies.

my standards for may be higher than some chair wise, but again, its like anything else, if i want it i get it.

as for the inflated prices, the ins co's are aware and they let it continue.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com