Thread: Personal item storage for wheel chair

Smile Personal item storage for wheel chair

Hello my name is Moon,

I am an Industrial Design (Product Design) student researching storage accessories for wheelchairs. We are designing products for wheelchair users. We are NOT designing wheelchairs and we are NOT designing the storage container, those are already designed. We are designing the products that wheelchair users use everyday.

We are trying to find wheelchair users who would be willing to share their experiences with regards to products they use everyday and how a new product design could help solve a problem they have encountered.

Do you have different storage devices on your wheelchair for different occasions/purposes?

Where is the most convenient location to access storage on your wheel chair? Why that location?

What kind of things day to day do you carry with you?

What existing products/accessories do you like or dislike?

What products make you feel most independent?

Share an experience you have had with regards to storing products on your wheelchair.

THANK YOU

You're "researching storage accessories" for the purpose of "designing products for wheelchair users" but you're not designing storage? I don't get it. What are you designing? Regardless, here are some of my answers...

Do you have different storage devices on your wheelchair for different occasions/purposes?

I have a pouch that's attached to the front of my seat cushion where I keep keys, wallet, phone, ipod, chapstick; a backpack that usually holds my camera & a sweatshirt, but I mostly carry to bring home groceries, etc; and I just got one of those net things that hangs under my seat to use for school stuff.

Where is the most convenient location to access storage on your wheel chair? Why that location?
    The seat cushion pocket is easiest to access, but small.

What kind of things day to day do you carry with you?
    See first question. Also I'll soon be carrying textbooks & a laptop.

What existing products/accessories do you like or dislike?
    I have a wheelchair backpack made by Quickie that came with my old chair, and I don't like it because instead of straps, it just has little loops for the push handles/ back canes. This makes it a pain to handle. I prefer a regular backpack.