Thread: Promising research... can someone please interpret

Promising research... can someone please interpret

Someone recently sent me this article about Dr. Mark Tuszynski research at the University of California San Diego. It sounds very promising, but it is very difficult to understand (at least for me). Can someone who has a greater understanding of these types of topics provide me with a basic gist of the article. I believe he has gotten motor and sensory axons to grow through scar tissue. I also believe he has tested his techniques on primates, but I'm not sure.

I haven't really seen Dr.Tuszynski talked about too frequently on here, so it may be news to a lot of people. I know he is in the works of publishing an additional paper which expounds on this current research.

The research paper is attached.

Quote Originally Posted by lcfbplyr21 View Post
    Someone recently sent me this article about Dr. Mark Tuszynski research at the University of California San Diego. It sounds very promising, but it is very difficult to understand (at least for me). Can someone who has a greater understanding of these types of topics provide me with a basic gist of the article. I believe he has gotten motor and sensory axons to grow through scar tissue. I also believe he has tested his techniques on primates, but I'm not sure.

I haven't really seen Dr.Tuszynski talked about too frequently on here, so it may be news to a lot of people. I know he is in the works of publishing an additional paper which expounds on this current research.

We used to talk about him quite a bit years ago. I think Carl R and Will Ambler set up a website dealing in part with Dr. T, but I don't know if it still exists. I don't know if Carl has posted in a long while, now that I think about it. I hope he's doing ok.
    Last edited by rdf; 07-21-2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

RDF good memory lol.............I haven't seen Carl or Will on line in years !! Hope all is well.

This article is extremely difficult to interprete, and I have only been able to pick up bits and pieces. It appears as though the injury model was generated with a chemical injection, and the over expression of growth factors was administered in the sub-acute phase.

The article mentions "relevence" to primates, not actual application. I would not anticipate any translation to humans any time soon.

As I remember I think Will was talking about suing Dr. T for work that he would not release that he believed could help SCI people, not sure whatever became of it, I'll have to do a search.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

why do you think he would not release any thing or what was he hiding can you let us know what came out of it

The lawsuit was dropped but I recall it being mentioned that Dr. T's research failed to produce improvements in humans perhaps because the original mouse model used was faulty.

Here it is: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=158
    Last edited by antiquity; 07-23-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Dr. Tuszynski is a highly respected scientist who has been publishing for many years about the use of neurotrophins to treat spinal cord injury. He was the first to transplant fibroblasts (skin cells) that are genetically modified to express the neurotrophin brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in the mid 1990's.

Now, what he has done is to use a virus (called lentivirus) to overexpress the gene for BDNF receptors, called trkb, in cultured dorsal root ganglion (DRG) neurons. These neurons normally express the receptor to nerve growth factor (NGF) and not trkb. When trkb is overexpressed in the neurons, the neurons grew in culture in response to BDNF. Dr. Tuszynskis proposes that one reason why some neurons do not regenerate is because they are not expressing BDNF receptors. He furthermore shows that this BDNF dependent growth of axons is a result of Erk activation. Erk is an intracellular messenger. He and his colleagues blocked Erk and showed that this stopped the neurite growth whereas blockade of other intracellular messengers, such as Akt and PI3, did not do so. They then went on to use the lentivirus to transfect neurons in the cortex of animals (presumably rats) to cause BDNF overexpression. They showed that these neurons were able to regenerate their axons after they cut the axons the cortex and filled the lesion site with fibroblasts that secrete BDNF. The corticospinal axons were pre-labeled by injections of cholera toxin B label injected into the C4 spinal cord. The rats were perfused two weeks

This is very interesting although I agree that the paper is quite difficult to read. The paper was obtusely written. For example, it was even difficult to discover what animals the experiments were done in. The only reference to rats was one word in the methods section. On the other hand, if one took the time to read the paper in detail, it is well worth it and it provided a great deal of interesting insight an commentary on some puzzling aspects of spinal cord regeneration. Let me explain.

For many years, scientists have been using the corticospinal tract as the "gold standard tract" for showing regeneration. Unfortunately, it was been very difficult to demonstrate regeneration of this tract under many circumstances. Note that the laboratories of Martin Schwab and Saburo Kawaguchi had reported regeneration of corticospinal tracts after transection of the corticospinal tracts in adult and neonatal rats, respectively after anti-nogo antibody therapy and simply opposing the tracts together. Tuszynski, et al. pointed out that combinations of neurotrophins (including BDNF, GDNF, NGF, and NT-3) does not stimulate regeneration of the corticospinal tract, whereas it does stimulate serotonin-containing axons and other axon to regenerate. They propose that the main reason the corticospinal tract does not regenerate is because the neurons lack BDNF receptors and presumably Erk activation. When they made cortical neurons express BDNF, they were able to show that application of BDNF will make these neurons regenerate. Furthermore, they were able to block the regeneration using Erk blockers.

I am not sure that it would be appropriate or practical to transfect cortical neurons with BDNF receptors in order to get them to regenerate. On the other hand, I think that it is nice indeed to know the reason why it is so difficult to make the neurons regenerate.

Wise.

Question successful regeneration of adult nerve axons

I recevied this in an email today and wondered if this is a rehash of old news or new progress

http://www.spinal-research.org/resea...ugh-in-the-us/

Dr Tuszynski; spoke with him last year after reading an article he put out showed progress in research. Nothing imminent at the time. More research needed and human trials a ways off. Is there a date on the article youi posted? the question is; when will this be tried on humans and when can we be a part of it. that's what we need to hear. I ve seen his name mentined at times and he appears to be a player. there are many players. If and when applied to humans like us is the question.