Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disability Library List

Disability Library List

Long story short, I'm working with the County Library to make titles under the broad umbrella of "Disabilities" available in their collection.

Any recommendations? The more information you can provide, the more helpful your submission.

Bonus points if the title is available as a downloadable audiobook.

Thanks.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

"Don't worry, he won't get far on foot" by John Callahan

Christopher Reeves site has a good library if you are interested in looking at their lists
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Thanks rebajane - I've heard good things about that book. Care to add a few words of description, or a short review?

addiesue - thank you. After reading your post, I went to the Reeves site and followed a link to the lending library. There does not appear to be any listing with descriptions to browse, but rather a good search engine that produces titles by subject. I don't have the time to explore the database and assemble a list by this method. What I'm looking for are personal recommendations with short descriptions and reviews. You know, like "this book is about", "I liked it because"...
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Search Amazon books section for disabled or disabilities. Thousands of books come up, and they have the standard editorial and user reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_...sprefix=disabl

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_...ix=disabilitie

Good stuff you're doing FO.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Thanks, mimin! So you would put this book on the short list of useful/interesting books for PWD?

Thanks for the link to the CC book forum. I'll check it out as I have time. What I really, really am hoping for, is that I can get some help from CC readers in selecting the cream of the large available crop. If any of you have read a special interesting/useful book that pertains to disabilities - please take a few moments and a few words to tell me the author, title, and why you think it should be in the collection.

Again, we are giving preference to titles that are available as downloadable audiobooks.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mimin View Post
    Foolish

"Reach for the Sky: The Story of Douglas Bader" by Paul Brickhill.

Biography of a double leg amputee Spitfire Pilot who became an "Ace" during the Battle of Britain before being shot down over Northern France, escaped and was recaptured from several prisoner of war camps ending the war incarcerated in Colditz Castle (the German's home for incorrigible escapees).

Nothing to do with SCI but a bloody good read none the less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

Thanks, RDF. I hope I am not sounding ungrateful when I say that I have the results of lots of searches available to me. Every book sounds good in the promotional review. I doubt that the blurb writers understand the subject matter in the same way as folks here.

It's not places to look that I need, it's lookers! What I need is some CC reader feedback on one or more specific books that members have personally read and found superior for some reason. I've got a lot of irons in the fire, a deadline, and there are a lot of books to sort. If folks just offer one or two books that they consider the best, that would help so much! Like the old saying goes, "many hands lighten the load".

Just in case anybody is wondering, I'm not getting paid for this work. This is my reward for suggesting the Library add titles on disability and finding funds to make that possible.

If you don't have a title that you have read, maybe help by reading some of the reviews and suggesting a title that you think stands out from the crowd.

Thank you, my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Search Amazon books section for disabled or disabilities. Thousands of books come up, and they have the standard editorial and user reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_...sprefix=disabl

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_...ix=disabilitie

Good stuff you're doing FO.
    Foolish