Thread: Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Questions

I am fairly newly injured, 7 months out, but I have been out of the hospital since March 5th. I had an almost fatal automobile accident that punctured a lung, broke about 5 ribs, broke an ankle and left me paralyzed. I am a T-11 and in the hospital I remember not being able to feel from the belly button down. I can now feel from the middle of my hips and up. I was told I was complete and I really do not feel anything in my legs other than what I guess is nerve pain that I really feel after riding a nubike or standing. I stand for about 2 hours a day. Often I think why did I survive this accident to live paralyzed. I am 29 and a formal college athlete so not being able to be active is torture, I feel like half a man.

Anyways I guess what I am looking for is any expectations people can give me? I am so tired of hearing we will wait and see from Doctors. Any thoughts on what leverl people tend to gain back? I never thought I would have something where walking would be low on my list for things I want back. I would take bowel, bladder and sexual function first. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the website. My advice to you is to do as much intense rehab as is possible. Locomotor training at this point could be very beneficial. You are so newly injured that this is the time to maximize the return you might get back by working hard every day. Try to find a rehab center like Project Walk or others and just bust your butt. This will make whatever recovery you might get much more likely to occur. Stay with it for a few years if you can afford it. The payoff might be immense, though nothing is guaranteed. I wish you the best of luck.
    I am so tired of hearing we will wait and see from Doctors.
    This is BS...don't listen to the doctors and wait and see, you have to maximize your potential recovery now by intense physical rehab which incorporates a locomotor treadmill along with everything else. There are people here who know of places suited for this, I hope they'll post their locations and programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsu_red View Post
    I am fairly newly injured, 7 months out, but I have been out of the hospital since March 5th. I had an almost fatal automobile accident that punctured a lung, broke about 5 ribs, broke an ankle and left me paralyzed. I am a T-11 and in the hospital I remember not being able to feel from the belly button down. I can now feel from the middle of my hips and up. I was told I was complete and I really do not feel anything in my legs other than what I guess is nerve pain that I really feel after riding a nubike or standing. I stand for about 2 hours a day. Often I think why did I survive this accident to live paralyzed. I am 29 and a formal college athlete so not being able to be active is torture, I feel like half a man.

Anyways I guess what I am looking for is any expectations people can give me? I am so tired of hearing we will wait and see from Doctors. Any thoughts on what leverl people tend to gain back? I never thought I would have something where walking would be low on my list for things I want back. I would take bowel, bladder and sexual function first. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Are you at NC state? (guessing from your screen name)
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

your post could be my own. i'm farther out than you are. it'll be 3 yrs in november. i was thrown from my truck, it rolled over me and crushed me...broke 11 ribs over 31 times, shattered my hip, broke my sternm, punctured a lung, and broke my back.
    i am a complete also. and i agree, not walking is the tip of the iceberg. what i wouldn't give to have bowel and bladder control. most ab people just think of us as paralyzed, they have no idea what comes along with all of it.
    i was active to, and it happened when i was 29. played sand volleyball, broke horses, rodeo'd, played softball, did some cage fighting....you name it.
    every morning when i wake up, i try to move my legs, hoping they'll work. i have a lot of nerve pain to. still trying different drugs to help with it.
    some days i think like you do...why didn't i just die out in the corn field? why did someone have to find me? i always said that i'd rather be dead than paralyzed. i even told my family, when i was in icu, (the morning of the accident)that i was going to off myself the first chance i could. i don't remember saying that, but my family does. it really broke their heart, and that makes me feel bad.
    theres going to be bad days, but there will be a lot of good days to. you will be surprised how many people will be there for you, and want to help you. and it makes you feel great to know that they're there for you.
    things will be hard for you right now. it took me about a year to figure the basics out, and leave my slide board in the closet. i'm still learning. there are tricks you pick up to get things done. all the things that use to take you 5 minutes, now take 30. what can you do? deal with it, and try your best to keep up. i just went to my first horse show again. my runs in the arena were the worst i've ever done, but they felt the best. when people want to help, let them. this was hard for me, and still is, b/c i was VERY independent. be happy that your break was so low, and you still have all your upper body strength. be happy you didn't have a head injury. ab people take what they have for granted. and i think, maybe you (and i) take for granted that we can use our hands, we can live alone...and there are many things we can do, that some people can't. when i'm having a rotten, poor me day, i try to remember the 12yr old kid i always saw in therapy with a head injury. he didn't break his back, could use and feel his whole body....but he wasn't really there anymore. makes me happy that i only broke my back. don't get me wrong...i miss my old life, and i think about 'what if' every day. but it doesn't change anything. do your physical therapy, you are still new, and could get more back. you can't give up on that so soon.
    i guess this is turning in to a book, sorry! if you want to talk, i'm here. i've been where you are, we all have. ask questions here, you'll find answers.
    i'm sorry you're here, but welcome to the board!