Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hotel Beds Too High...

yeah, it's annoying. most of my trips w/ hotel stays involve very little time in the hotel. i just take my long transfer board & deal with it. a few times i've needed a little assistance, not much more than a little lift boost under my thighs while i transfer normally.

I guess I will have to find a way to deal with it. I think taking the mattress off is an option, also standing on a cushion to level myself is another good idea.

Just another thing I will have to adjust to.

Thanks everyone.

Taking the mattress off (and sleeping on a boxspring?) is stupid. If anything, get maintenance to remove the frame so the mattress set sits on the floor. I just don't care that much if it just eases a couple transfers. If I was staying somewhere > 1-2 nights I probably would though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Taking the mattress off (and sleeping on a boxspring?) is stupid. If anything, get maintenance to remove the frame so the mattress set sits on the floor. I just don't care that much if it just eases a couple transfers. If I was staying somewhere > 1-2 nights I probably would though.
    so true, like I learned in harrisonburg va a couple of years back, got tired of messing with the hotel folks so i just pushed the mattress off and selpt on the boxsprings, ended up with a sore on the hip from the boards, etc.

one time in florida in 2004, I was in a suite, so i pushed the mattress off and got the fold out couch and pulled the thin mattress of it and put on the bed.

usually best now a days to call ahead, because a handicap room can mean so many different things now-a-days
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by 6GunCobra View Post
    Yep. Seems like most hotels are like this (wheelchair accessible or not). Sucks.
    Not our health center, we have electric beds as to overcome this issue.

It's a big problem that was overlooked by the ADA. What good are all the other HP amenities in a hotel room if you can't easily use the bed? For me the most level bed height to trandfer is 24" high. I find hotel beds typically run 27"-30" high. Way too high for me to safely transfer in and out of bed. The past few years I've been having the hotel's "housekeeping" or "maintenance" take the feet off the bed frame....that lowers the bed about 2"-3" and that seems to be enough in the Bellagio's HP rooms and beds anyway. We are going to Las Vegas next month to stay at either The Mirage or The Wynn. We've never stayed at either place before so I'll see how that goes there.

I just got back from Florida where we rented a villa for seven days, so I don't know if we were able to do all those things like removing the frame and such. It is a good thing I had family with me to help.