Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotel Beds Too High...

Hotel Beds Too High...

Does anyone else have a little trouble getting into those hotel beds. The mattresses are so high. I am c-6/7 incomplete and can stand and pivot, but once I sit down, I am not able to move all the way onto the bed with out help. What do you guys do to get around this situation

it's a bitch, and it seems all of them started this mess about 10 or so years ago.
    I've actually pushed the mattress off and slept on boxsprings before because it was the right height.
    think it has to do with the ADA and old folks needing taller beds to get in and out of, maybe not, maybe someone else can answer better on that part.
    usually they have a lounge chair in the room, i always pull the cushion off of it and put on the floor, put my feet on it and then the transfer ain't so bad.
    some places if you get the double bed will still be normal height, call the hotel first, i ride alot for pleasure, so i usally stay at 10 to 20 rooms a year, and everyone always has a gotcha
    Last edited by brucec; 07-19-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: changed please to pleasure
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Yep. Seems like most hotels are like this (wheelchair accessible or not). Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6GunCobra View Post
    Yep. Seems like most hotels are like this (wheelchair accessible or not). Sucks.

i've found most holiday inn express will list with roll-in shower on their webpage
    hampton inn has a lot also, but they are usually higher

so on my weekend trips, i just pull the cushion and belly bag off the chair and shower in it, cleans the chair also

most of the eighties and some ninties i'd just ask for handicap rooms, and they always had a tub, so the bath with the washcloth at the sink got old quick, thats why i always look for roll-in shower now.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

i always call ahead and have them take the frame off, makes for a nearly level transfer.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Best response by a hotel when told by a chair user that her bed was too high happened in Dallas back in 1996, when I attended a White House sponsored conference of Pw/Ds.

The hotel hosting this event had just signed a consent decree with the Dept. of Justice to avoid being sued over ADA violations, and had done major, major work to make themselves accessible. The event was the trail run/debut of the revamped facilities, and hotel management were on high alert to make sure there weren't any complaints from the 200 people with disabilities who were there for this event.

One of the of the conference organizers was a chair user from the National Council on Disability (NCD). As one of the hoo-hahs there, was given one of the hotel's best suites, and had invited a bunch of people up to her room for a get together right after everyone checked in.

Just before people arrived for the meet and greet, the woman from NCD had discovered that one of the accessibility problems the hotel had failed to correct was the bed height. The four poster, solid oak, king sized bed in her room was lovely, but way too high to allow her to transfer, so right before everyone was about to arrive in her suite, she put in a call to management to come and take the mattress off the frame to solve the problem.

As people arrived for the little get together, the woman from NCD learned that these same beds were in every room, and posed te same problem for all of the chair users. We kind of laughed as we imagined how busy maintenance was about to be going from room to room, carting metal bed frames away.

What we didn't know at the time was because there was no metal frame, the only way to put the mattress and box spring down on the floor was remove the headboard, footboard, and wooden frame from the room. Since the hotel didn't have the time or staff power to take apart and move all of those heavy oak beds, nor room to store all of that furniture, they made the only choice they could to accommodate the request and avoid further problems with the DOJ.

About 15 minutes into the gathering up in this suite, there was a knock on the door. The woman from NCD answered it and found, much to her surprise, a maintenance guy carrying a saw. Without saying a word to anyone, he walked into the bedroom and sawed the legs off of the bed, then quietly left carrying the four solid oak legs that used to be part of the bedroom set. This act was repeated all over the hotel that day.

We laughed about that for days, and gave management major kudos for being willing to do whatever it took to make things right. It must have killed them to have to cut up that gorgeous, and no doubt expensive, bedroom furniture.

True story, I swear!
    Last edited by thehipcrip; 07-19-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Unfortunately, as furniture, beds are not at all covered by ADA accessibility regulations for hotels. Neither are couches or easy chairs, or even the desks. The PVA has been trying to get the Access board to add standards related to both platform vs. open frame beds and bed height to the standards for lodging facilities nearly 8 years now, without success.

The best you can do right now is call ahead and ask the manager to let you know the mattress height. If they cannot provide you something like providing a different bed, or taking the box spring and mattress off the frame (which won't work if you need to use a lift to transfer), then you may have to stay elsewhere (and probably cheaper).

Someplace, someone decided these high beds are more upscale and luxurious. They are not better for older people either, as there have been complaints about falls related to getting in and out of them during the night by this population, with some fractured hips resulting.

(KLD)

me tooooooooooo................... its sooo high for me..the height difference is way too much for me too

i agree

same thing has happened to me. can not get up into bed, too high. good thing i had family with me to help lift me up.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Unfortunately, as furniture, beds are not at all covered by ADA accessibility regulations for hotels. Neither are couches or easy chairs, or even the desks. The PVA has been trying to get the Access board to add standards related to both platform vs. open frame beds and bed height to the standards for lodging facilities nearly 8 years now, without success.

The best you can do right now is call ahead and ask the manager to let you know the mattress height. If they cannot provide you something like providing a different bed, or taking the box spring and mattress off the frame (which won't work if you need to use a lift to transfer), then you may have to stay elsewhere (and probably cheaper).

Someplace, someone decided these high beds are more upscale and luxurious. They are not better for older people either, as there have been complaints about falls related to getting in and out of them during the night by this population, with some fractured hips resulting.

(KLD)
    Thanks for the explanation, I have long wondered why I would encounter all these near perfect wheelchair rooms with beds I could not get into. I would guess that some organization like the Hotel and Restaurant Association is using paid lobbyists to prevent beds from being covered by ADA. The hotels likely get a better price per bed when they buy in large numbers.

I would recommend that whenever you encounter this situation (even if management corrects it pre or post arrival) that you send a letter to corporate headquarters with a copy to the local hotel with the high bed. I did this recently after encountering perfect wheelchair rooms but with too high beds in Microtel rooms in both Kentucky and Georgia. I never heard back from corporate but the manager at the Georgia Microtel provided us a certificate for a free night stay. If we just quietly accept this, even if we are successful getting them to take the mattress off the frame, the next chair user will encounter a too high bed. My experience has been in some places that if you arrive late there is no maintenance guy to lower the bed.