Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preventing Hospital-Acquired Infections

Patty this thread is almost 2 years old. It popped up in new posts because of a spam posting.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Patty this thread is almost 2 years old. It popped up in new posts because of a spam posting.
    LoL..thanks t8burst!! Certainly, I need to pay more attention to the dates on the items I'm responding to. Thanks again!!

1. ALWAYS take garlic supplement if you are in a hospital at any time for any reason.
    2. NEVER catheterize in a hospital or a doctor's office if you aren't a patient. If you must stay for a procedure, request a profolactic anti-biotic.

How to avoid them? MUST you go to a doctor or hospital or whatever? Wet your pants. It's better than a God damn hospital infection, believe you me

Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    My son contracted a UTI (club ciela(sp?)) k
    klebsiella pneumoniae i think i s what you meant , i know it was a long time ago , but i got it and am worried about doinf PIE as much as i should since i don't know a good disinfectant for it, and doing pie by myself, things get contaminated. i wear 3 or 4 pairs of gloves so i can remove a contaminated pair, but bathroom furniture ,light switches , take like 20 minutes before it works, 15 to 30 seconds for e coli hiv,one of the flue's, .
    i remember when i was having my spinal cord stil re-positioned for like the 6 or 7 time, i was awake , and the doctor said its a known thing in the OR , the longer open, the bigger chance of infection.
    so i guess it is in the air . You would think they could fog the ER between patients , and do a total air change.
    Or run swabs and test to see if there is a bacteria floating around.
    cauda equina

The simplest explanation is the truth.

All I can add is to watch EVERYONE, and not to be afraid to speak up if your uncomfortable. If you see something and don't speak up you have no one to blame but yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many studies have shown that the #1 method most important for the prevention of hospital-acquired infections (often drug resistant) is consistent and effective hand hygiene on the part of caregivers and visitors. The CDC is encouraging hospitals to show this short film (or podcast) to all patients admitted to the hospital (which is what we are doing now where I work). It is also applicable to family, agency, or PCA caregivers in your home.

Take the time now to look at it now:

http://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/Patie...ion_Video.html

(KLD)
    Mark Twain: Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't"

What is gone before is gone. All you have now are the results of your actions.

Anti--Intellectualism is been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notionthat democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge - Isaac Asimov

fda letting germicides that do not kill bacteria to have 5 years to change the labeli

i just saw that c-diff, , can live on hospital furniture for 2 weeks and even on hands of hospital employees for 2 weeks. to top it off , many of the germicides that state they kill the pathogen or bacteria whichever is correct, do not , and are not effective. To make it even worse they were giving the companies 5 years to correct their labeling.i received that from the FDA list or pub med list a couple days ago.,
    It was bad enough that few people flowed the directions and let the surface remain wet for 5 minutes to kill the stubborn ones, now finding out that those that did follow the directions, may have still been working with contaminated area., when i gt home i will post the article.
    cauda equina

Only chlorox kills cdiff not the other things and not hand sanitizer. And of course washing hands will wash it away.
    Every patient items,-bed,bedside table, side rails, tv remote-whatever is touched etc.. should be sanitized daily and after csare- do you ever see this being done?
    But preactive and if you can ask for the cleanser and do it!
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by Patty41 View Post
    LoL..thanks t8burst!! Certainly, I need to pay more attention to the dates on the items I'm responding to. Thanks again!!
    I can't read the middleendian dates in white.

ISO date is CCYY-MM-DD. Littleendian date c'th is DD/MM/YY or DD/MM/CCYY.

Hospital rules for Cathy:
    Always wash hands before touching. Caregiver stays with her, or I do. We are the only ones allowed to touch her unless absolutely necessary on their part. She is used to our germs. They argue, but that is life. Problem is even if they wash- if they push back their hair, or scratch their nose, or put hands on hips or whatever common human thing they do, they probably did it down the hall as well, and transfer whatever that is between patients even after washing. I pull her out of the hospital ASAP- even for recovery. They have forms they make us sign called AMA. I have signed several. Each time she had extended stay, she caught something. Better to die at home than slow MRSA death in a hospital. Plus, we have the equipment they do not. Lifts, chairs, etc.