Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any One That Went to The Recent National Veterans Wheelchair Games

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    We had great time in Spokane. Our son Tim played only rugby but he plans to do more sports next year in Denver. He made many new friends and he's looking forward to see them again next year.
    Which team did he play on?

Spokane was incredibly beautiful and the shuttle buses were running so smoothly the first day! And no hill like that nightmare in Omaha.

Actually had the pleasure of meeting Pat the night of the block party. He had so much energy.

I just wanted say WELCOME HOME & A Job well done by my Fellow Veterans that were lucky enough to make it to the 29th National Veterans Wheelchair Games in Spokane Washington. I hope to join you all for the 30th annual games in Denver Colorado where I went to Tech School while I was in the Air Force.

Take Care !

Bob S
    Oldsmar, Fl
    Air Force 8/71 - 5/75

Tim was with team C...he was the youngest veteran for this year game.
    Spokane is very beautiful, everything was very convenient. We had the opportunity to meet many veterans, their spouses and their caregivers. It was also a great way to learn from other.

The Red team? They had some seriously fast people.

Tim was #3, he was not the fast one. His classification was 1.0 at the game. He was in between 0.5 to 1.0. I think he did very well compare to two months ago while he practiced with his home team (Portland Pounders).

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Didn't get to go, but heard our team did pretty well. We sent two staff (we are short on therapy staff right now, so that is all we could spare)

There is a lot of information about the NVWG here:

http://www1.va.gov/vetevent/nvwg/2009/default.cfm

Next year: Denver!

(KLD)
    I hate to brag KLD, but the team sent by Cleveland had more medals this year than any other team.

That got me thinking.

I prescribed most of our team's wheelchairs (the majority of their everyday chairs and some of their sports chairs).

So, if they would have named it the...
    National Veteran's Wheelchair Games
    instead of the
    National Veterans Wheelchair Games
    I could have taken credit for our success!

Of course, it is all about the veteran and their achievements, so I must congratulate them for another fine performance this year.

Here's a local story posted this morning...

Northeast Ohioans compete in National Veterans Wheelchair Games

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    If your VA PT prescribes a FreeWheel for you, the VA will buy it for you!
    What about if an OT prescribes it? Or do you think we are somehow less important?

Leaving OT's out of the picture would be almost as bad as, say, referring to PVA as VPA!

Marketing, Pat, Marketing!

Like I said, I wish the letters PVA were in a row on the keyboard so that engineers like me could get it right! LOL!

I wonder if anyone would know if there is a difference if someones" VA PT or OT fills out the propper form (VA Form 10-2641) , will the result be that the VA would in fact fund the FreeWheel for that individual Vet?

This question and more are what I'm working with the VA's office to answer. I'll keep you posted and wish for others to comment.

Pat

Ps pic of my son and myself STANDING! As the baclofen goes down, I go UP!

www.gofreewheel.com

Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    Like I said, I wish the letters PVA were in a row on the keyboard so that engineers like me could get it right! LOL!

I wonder if anyone would know if there is a difference if someones" VA PT or OT fills out the propper form (VA Form 10-2641) , will the result be that the VA would in fact fund the FreeWheel for that individual Vet?

This question and more are what I'm working with the VA's office to answer. I'll keep you posted and wish for others to comment.

Pat

Ps pic of my son and myself STANDING! As the baclofen goes down, I go UP!

www.gofreewheel.com
    Arghhh! The dreaded 10-2641. That means it goes to Central Office for approval. Actually any PT, OT, or KT can fill out the form, but technically a provider, typically an SCI physician signs the form.

If his trial goes well, maybe Veteran Advisor can help eliminate the bureaucracy and help veterans obtain it directly through their local VA. I think the FreeWheel and the Zinger could potentially save the VA big bucks as they could reduce the number of powerchairs purchased by Prosthetics (and maybe save some shoulders in the process).

That's quite a charming young standing device you're using there.