Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hemorrhoid treatment...

Angry Hemorrhoid treatment...

It seems the threads that I have found regarding treatment are two years old.

It's looking like I'm going to have to swallow my pride and get these bad boys take care of. For a little background I'm six plus years post ,C5-6 complete. They're both internal and external an just started bleeding. The last time I got them checked the doctor was all too eager to cut here and there. However, side effects that include and I quote "anal leakage" are less than appealing to a 20-something year old male that's in school full time. So what are my options? I have a window of around 3 weeks in August that I can get this done. Is this enough time to get this taken care of? It goes without saying that I would appreciate something straightforward that's not going to leave me in bed for weeks on a liquid diet...

Search more and use the words "cryo-frozen" and "banded". I forget the name he goes by on CC. Hans maybe? He's the expert. Not sure his involved stitching on the inside.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Search more and use the words "cryo-frozen" and "banded". I forget the name he goes by on CC. Hans maybe? He's the expert. Not sure his involved stitching on the inside.
    cryo-frozen? yikes! thanks for the tip...

McLovin, I've had internal roids banded several times and it's no big deal. It can be an "office procedure" if the doc is willing or it's done in the Surgical Day Care Unit. I've had them done in both venues and for me the office procedure was the best way. No prep, no down time, no waiting around and I shit normally the next day with a suppository and gentle digital stimulation. The colo-rectal doc told me by doing the internal ones first...sometimes he doesn't have to do the external ones afterwards because it reduces the pressure/swelling that causes them. I currently do have a couple small external roids but keep them under control by applying ice wrapped in a facecloth on them for about 5 minutes after I get back into bed after shitting/showering. My understanding is that surgically removing the external roids requires a complete bowel cleansing, ass-wound packing and bedrest. I'd try the conservative route first. I see you are in CT, I'm next to you in MA. I go to MGH in Boston and have Dr. Paul Shellito tend to my bunghole. I'm sure CT has fine colo-rectal docs somewhere....I just don't know them. It's just that I know Shellito (as a patient...we don't hang out), I've been to him many times and he is THE ass-man at MGH.

http://www.massgeneral.org/doctors/doctor.aspx?ID=16573

Is it best to have these taken care of or can you allow them to just be there and bleed when you do your bowel program? They bleed initially, but they clot easy.

McLovin, this thread from earlier this year from says that three weeks is way more than enough time to fully recover from banding. Sclerosing injections are supposed to be another office procedure for dealing with internal roids that requires minimal recovery time. Never heard of "anal leakage" problems from anyone who's had either of these procedures done.

Le Type
    , a previous post from KLD says you should only consider banding or other removal of your internal roids if you are "bleeding between bowel care times or bleeding in large amounts, or are getting AD from the inflammation." Of course, what constitutes a large amount is pretty subjective...

Really dumb question for y'all. Can you actually feel your internal roids with your finger when you do your dig stim?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    McLovin, I've had internal roids banded several times and it's no big deal. It can be an "office procedure" if the doc is willing or it's done in the Surgical Day Care Unit. I've had them done in both venues and for me the office procedure was the best way. No prep, no down time, no waiting around and I shit normally the next day with a suppository and gentle digital stimulation. The colo-rectal doc told me by doing the internal ones first...sometimes he doesn't have to do the external ones afterwards because it reduces the pressure/swelling that causes them. I currently do have a couple small external roids but keep them under control by applying ice wrapped in a facecloth on them for about 5 minutes after I get back into bed after shitting/showering. My understanding is that surgically removing the external roids requires a complete bowel cleansing, ass-wound packing and bedrest. I'd try the conservative route first. I see you are in CT, I'm next to you in MA. I go to MGH in Boston and have Dr. Paul Shellito tend to my bunghole. I'm sure CT has fine colo-rectal docs somewhere....I just don't know them. It's just that I know Shellito (as a patient...we don't hang out), I've been to him many times and he is THE ass-man at MGH.

http://www.massgeneral.org/doctors/doctor.aspx?ID=16573
    Thanks for the recommendation. I guess my first mistake was looking for a rectal ranger on my own. I'm sure there's somebody at Yale or something closer I'll just e-mail my physiatrist and what he says...
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Is it best to have these taken care of or can you allow them to just be there and bleed when you do your bowel program? They bleed initially, but they clot easy.
    I've put it off for as long as I can, don't think I can do it anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    McLovin, this thread from earlier this year from says that three weeks is way more than enough time to fully recover from banding. Sclerosing injections are supposed to be another office procedure for dealing with internal roids that requires minimal recovery time. Never heard of "anal leakage" problems from anyone who's had either of these procedures done.

Le Type
    , a previous post from KLD says you should only consider banding or other removal of your internal roids if you are "bleeding between bowel care times or bleeding in large amounts, or are getting AD from the inflammation." Of course, what constitutes a large amount is pretty subjective...

Really dumb question for y'all. Can you actually feel your internal roids with your finger when you do your dig stim?
    Thanks for your help, I don't know how I missed that. and your question is definitely not a dumb one at all. The most sensation I have just happens to be in my special places. Unfortunately, it's not the good or cool sensations. I can feel dig stim, and I can also feel it on the rare occasion I need to cath, or when they do the ultra-uncomfortable urodynamics test...

Mclovin; Sorry to here about your problem. I'm c5/6 24 years post, I had to have a hemorrhoidectomy almost 3 years ago. I had internal and external's that required "cutting" surgery, I waited too long, banding wasn't an option. I haven't experienced any anal leakage, my rectum is just as tight if not tighter than before surgery. I wasn't on a liquid diet after surgery just a soft diet. The recovery was very difficult for me pain wise because I have bad nerve pain(I don't have sensation but my body reacted to the pain, causing AD, mostly sweating and muscle spasms not elevated blood pressure) the surgery made it much worse. I think most of it was caused because I was afraid to take the pain meds due to becoming constipated, If you have the surgery take the pain meds and you will be much more comfortable. I stayed in bed for about 4 days but was able to sit during the healing process because there wasn't really any pressure on the area(I switched from a Jay2 after surgery to a Roho Quadtro and didn't have any problems). It took about 1 month for everything to heal. It will look really bad the first few weeks.

Almost 3 years later they are bad again so I'm seriously considering a colostomy, I wish I would have had one done when I had the hemorrhoidectomy. My Colorectal surgeon says the combination of long bp's and showering on a shower/commode chair is a major factor. I have also been having problems with developing sores on the external hemorrhoids, I was getting AD when I sat up until my Dr. prescribed Peranex HC Cream(Hydrocortisone and Lidocaine) it shrinks the swelling and numbs the pain.

If you decide to have surgery I hope everything turns out well for you. If you have any questions just let me know.
    Renee

Thank you for the replies.