Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methadone vs. Suboxone

Methadone vs. Suboxone

So I have been taking pain meds since my accident in 2004, and I just get so scared of the long term damage that the drugs can do to my body. I want to stop taking them but am scared for two reasons. Number one, will these medications work. Second, I'm scared of the withdrawal part. I have gone through minor withdrawals and it was the worst thing I have ever had to go through. I just want to know if anyone has been in my shoes and has taken any of these meds. Anything will help!!
    God is good

I used suboxone for 3-4 months to get off the methadone that I was on for two years. It was one of the hardest things I had to do in regards to my injury, but it was the best thing I did to get my life back into my own hands again.

Good luck and remember, people have done it before you...

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by rollinprincess3227 View Post
    So I have been taking pain meds since my accident in 2004, and I just get so scared of the long term damage that the drugs can do to my body. I want to stop taking them but am scared for two reasons. Number one, will these medications work. Second, I'm scared of the withdrawal part. I have gone through minor withdrawals and it was the worst thing I have ever had to go through. I just want to know if anyone has been in my shoes and has taken any of these meds. Anything will help!!
    Suboxone was the best thing that happened for my son's drug abuse. Withdrawel??? C'mon you've had much worse and overcome.

If you get off the drugs and live through the withdraws, then what do you do for the chronic pain you or I am still in? It seems I can't win for loosing!

Quote Originally Posted by Del Huffman View Post
    If you get off the drugs and live through the withdraws, then what do you do for the chronic pain you or I am still in? It seems I can't win for loosing!
    What makes you think I may not live through the withdrawals?
    What if I don't even have pain? I didn't ask for the meds when I was in the hospital. They were just given to me. I really wonder if I am in pain or my head is telling me I do so that I will take the meds. People tell me that narcotics can change the way you think and live so maybe they ARE controlling my life and I just don't know it. I am willing to take that risk to find the truth about these god awful pills.
    But, If I do have pain then I will address it when i get there.

And I know what you mean when you asy we can't win for loosing. I feel that in many ways.
    God is good

Quote Originally Posted by Del Huffman View Post
    Well I'm in agreement there. It wasn't until 2.5yrs ago that I had to start taking methadone from a flap surgery I had. Never had to take anything 24yrs now sci, I'd love to get off'm but wonder what kind of pain I'll have once I'm off.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

what to do

if you can find a doctor in yor area that is licensed to prescibe suboxone that is the best option..it works ok for opiate addiction at least for a year maybe longer and is easier to withdraw from than methadone..withdrawing from any strong long acting narcotic must be done slowly like at 2mgs per week for methadone. Suboxone im not as familiar with..ive been on methadone for 25 years and i look at it as a med much like insulin for diabetes. all meds should be covered by insurance, unfortuneately most insurers limit coverage for addiction meds or deny it..this could change if national health care is ever passed..dont hold your breath..Methadone treatment is available thru clinics only..that is the worst part of treatment: having to deal wth a clinic and their rules and the high cost of treatment at a private clinic. Methadone itself is a remarkable drug that does what it is supposed to do..to keep you happy, well and highly functional.

I take from what you have written you have an opiate dependence, but are not an addict.

Withdrawal is nasty, but doable. If you want off the meds, you know what to do. You'll feel like you have flu gone exponential, turbo and on steroids, but once you withdraw, you've withdrawn. There is no dragging it out over weeks and months and possibly years.

I quit cold turkey (no methadone or suboxone) just before I decided to enter treatment and spent my withdrawal there. It's a wicked little affair and you'll feel like sh*t for a while, but it's amazing to have your life, your body and your mind returned to you.

These aer tips for withdrawal which may or may not be beneficial. I can only tell you what I now from my own experience.

Be sure to push the liquids. I was encouraged to drink apple, grape, cranberry with occasional o.j. Don't forget the h2o. Up your fluids because it helps flush you out.

Have Immodium on hand as you'll likely be sick at your stomach in more ways than one. The diarrhea and vomiting are another reason to up your liquid intake as you don't want to get dehydrated.

Eat when you can and eat as well and as healthy as you can. After the initial nausea and vomiting subside, eat. Your body has just gone through a lot.

Avoid caffeine. You may have trouble sleeping at night (most likely) and don't want to make it any harder. That caffeine you used to handle with no problem may make you very jumpy and jittery now.

When you have trouble sleeping, consider taking two Benadryl at bedtime if you must take anything. Yes, it's an antihistamine, but we were offered that in treatment as it can aid in sleeping for some people going through withdrawals. Benadryl is not addictive.

Some individuals crave chocolate after withdrawal. It seems there is a scientific reason for this. Chocolate has an effect on the brain's pleasure center just as opiates do. It will not be the same as opiates, but consider having a small amount of chocolate on hand. If you have cravings for the opiates after withdrawal, eat a small amount of chocolate.

Don't forget to exercise in some way if you are able. It will be important to move what you can and to be active. It can help with the post-withdrawal restlessness you may experience.

If you're also going to ditch benzos (valium, klonipin, etc.) discuss it with your doc and taper. Death by seizure from suddenly stopping benzos would be a bad way to go.

Let me know how you are doing, okay? It is not easy, but you can do it. All the best to you.

Pain sucks Im looking for a doctor that knows anything about nerve pain .
    no withdraw help here sorry. Good luck!
    "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

Princess, you can do it. I was taking 400 mg of morphine sulfate a day, for months, and I cut down to 30 mg every 12 hrs, within about 1 month. it's no picnioc, I had a huge hole in my back I was curing, but I did it, and wnet to no pain pills at all. You might lose so sleep, but thats what the internet is for, he he. Look at the funny videos on you tube. Good luck, you don't need that heavy of drugs.