Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "And that's the way it is" RIP Walter Cronkite

Watching the news last night was like watching a news reel of my younger years. I remember when JFK died and cartoons were pulled. Cronkite made it ok. I remember when he said Vietnam was not winnable. I remember his choked voice when he announced that JFK had died. More clearly, sitting in my uncles living room as Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon. Cronkite was as excited as a young kid. His mood matched the mood at my uncles house.

RIP. We celebrate your integrity, & honesty and you will be missed. You set the standard.

And that's the way it was.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Todd, you would have really liked him, I am quite sure. I remember during the missle crisis he reported nearly hourly what was going on, and while it was a scary time his demeanor was reassuring. There was none of the hysterical nonsense that passes for news now. No headlines being scrolled along the bottom of the television saying things like "Mankind on the brink" or "Special Edition, Our Last few Hours of Life." It was news, plain and simple, with an accuracy that should make today's journalists blush.
    Yes, I've always associated him with announcing the tragic death of John F. Kennedy. I didn't know until last night the pivotal role he played in Johnson's declaration of losing America on Vietnam when he lost Walter.

RIP Walter Cronkite. He was the best of the best newscasters of his day. There will never be another one like him. I grew up watching him report the news from all over the world. I to was a child when JFK was killed & to watch him report on the first man on the moon. He was excited like a child while he was announcing it.

I missed him after he retired. He told like it was. I also like the way he signed off of a broadcast.