Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: colostomy

I had a total colectomy done last year and have an ileostomy and absolutely love it. At first, it was a pain to get in the habit of changing ostomy appliance every 3-4 days, but once I got into a routine, it was WAY easier than any bowel program I had been on the past couple of years. I use Hollister ostomy products and rarely have any problems with leakage. An ostomy nurse can help you find products that won't leak and are comfortable for you.
    Now, the output from an ileostomy is looser than with a colostomy and you never know when your small intestine is gonna empty (with a colostomy, its a little bit more predictable). But, emptying the bag several times a day is no big deal.
    Hope this helps!

Jessie

Hi, I have had a colostomy for eight years, due to a bedsore, I have MS and before the colostomy and bedsore I would have to literally run to the bathroom because I had no control of my bowels. The only problems I have had was learning what foods would give me diarrea and gas, now my bowel program takes about two minutes a day. I keep a wafer and bag close by. When I recieved my colostomy it was supposed to be reversible, but I have decided I don't want to go through the surgery.

Peace
    stellab

Thanks everyone just got the call from the surgeon September 1st is the day for my surgery thanks for all the post.

I'd like to add a couple questions to this thread...

1. If you wear a tucked-in shirt & tie and dress pants to work, does it show?

2. Does it limit your sleep positions?

3. Does it prevent you from bending forward and picking stuff up off the floor? I picture the seal popping open, however I've never seen how it works really.

4. I like go to clubs and bounce around to music. Will a lot of movement cause it to leak?

5. Does the bag inflate with gas?

Ok, that was 3 more than a couple. I know if I could do my own BP, I'd be pretty set. But the idea of having a doctor slice me a new asshole & another bag to deal with freaks me out.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrronnn View Post

1. If you wear a tucked-in shirt & tie and dress pants to work, does it show?

Depends on where the stoma is, and how tight you wear your clothes.

2. Does it limit your sleep positions?

Slightly, I don;t sleep so that I am lying directly on the bag.

3. Does it prevent you from bending forward and picking stuff up off the floor? I picture the seal popping open, however I've never seen how it works really.

Only if the bag is full. You should be emptying it before it it too full anyway. But I did learn not to pick something up off the floor, with a full bag. (I can safely lean to the other side tho)

4. I like go to clubs and bounce around to music. Will a lot of movement cause it to leak?

Can't answer that for sure, but I doubt it. It is tucked into your pants anyway, so it isn;t like it is flopping around. There are also wrap like belts that will hold the bag in position. (They would be good for disguising it under clothes as well) . Here is the first on I found w/ google, there are others. http://www.ostomysolutions.com/default.asp

5. Does the bag inflate with gas?
    Yes, the bags I first used did, but now I use bags w/ a little filter in them, that lets gas out, but keeps any odor in.

Ok, that was 3 more than a couple. I know if I could do my own BP, I'd be pretty set. But the idea of having a doctor slice me a new asshole & another bag to deal with freaks me out.

Yea .... I can get that. Mine was an emergency, immediatly post, so I didn;t have to decide. I am glad I did, but not sure what I would have decided if I had to choose.

I answered w/in your quoted post, above.
    Last edited by sjean423; 07-30-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post

I answered w/in your quoted post, above.
    I have been looking at the pro's & con's re colostomy, am 60 years old and been a T9 para for 40 years. Mainly relied on digital stimulation until post roid & prolapse surgery last year and have since been using MB.
    My main concern is prolapse or hernia which can require further intervention if it occurs, although in most cases these are repairable. It seems to me that para's would be at higher risk than quads simply due to being more active. I have seen one survey of SCI post colostomy which involved 35 and 3 had these problems at some point, although only one required surgery. The survey did not clarify if the 35 were para's or quad's, male or female. I have been talking to a fellow New Zealander who is now 33 years old and had his done 6 years ago, he is a T7 para who at the time was 11 years post injury. He had no luck getting into a bowel routine and was reluctant to go out, it was his girlfriend who gave him a good slapping and told him to get the operation. She is now his wife and he has never looked back and reckons that he has had no problems to date. His view is that all SCI should get a colostomy at DOA and do away with BP altogether lol.

Blog Entries
    I have come across a new product for those with Colostomy that is manufactured in Israel and is about to go into mass production. It is called Stimatix GI and does not require the wearing of a bag but the disposable cap has a deploy-able bag built in and the camp senses when you need to go.

I can't find anywhere that this has been through FDA approval for distribution in the USA yet (as a medical device), but am checking with my ostomy nurse friends to see if they know anything about it. The information on the website about it is sketchy to say the least. There has not been anything added to the company's website since 2011 about it, so wondering how close they really are to distribution...

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    The response I had yesterday was that the product is not available yet to market as they are shifting to mass production, and will announce when they are ready to market.

''His view is that all SCI should get a colostomy at DOA and do away with BP altogether lol.''

I'm a c3c4 quad 25 years. I am not as active as a para for obvious reasons. After 23 years of bc I had colostomy surgery. That along with my sp 25 years ago are the best decisions I've made. I don't have worry about what I eat. I don't have to do bc every other day for hours. I can't explain how much my quality of life has changed. My only regret is not doing it 25 years ago.