Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any bed sore doctors(surgeons) in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by jwr18 View Post
    I am sure everyone in Colorado0 knows this Dr and would chastise me for questioning his expertise.
    I don't know the doc (I'm new to Colorado), but I didn't see you as questioning his expertise as much as you just being resistant to something as seemingly extreme as a colostomy. Even though it looks as though the colostomy is your best bet in dealing with the sore and the surgery, and it's not necessarily permanent, I think your reticence is completely understandable. But whether you keep the colostomy after you're healed up or not, it does seem like it will be a big help in keeping the surgery site clean and more worry free while you recoup.

Here's to you getting back up and moving asap.

Blog Entries
    jwr18! You are So very lucky to be living in CO close to Craig hospital. I too am a c4/5 quad and I had a sore requiring a flap many years ago. Got it about a year after my initial rehab at Craig (i ignored advise re: weight shifts). Back home on the west coast a local plastic Doc assured me he could do a flap and all would be well. It wasn't and two years later I finally flew back to Craig where they had to shave off a bunch of my ischial tuberosity and do a major flap. It's been all good (with the help of a ROHO cushions) ever since. If the bag can be reversed it sounds like the way to go.
    Good luck!

Jwr18; I apologize if you felt like I was trying to persuade you into getting a colostomy, I wasn't just wanted to let you know why most people probably end up keeping their colostomy.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by sreneet View Post
    Jwr18; I apologize if you felt like I was trying to persuade you into getting a colostomy, I wasn't just wanted to let you know why most people probably end up keeping their colostomy.

Do not apologize. I need all the advice i can get.

james
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad

I've had a skin flap surgery on my sacrum 5 years ago and I did not have a colostomy. However, when I was trying to disimpact myself, I tore the sitches and my ps had to re sew it up. I've honestly never heard of a ps doing a colostomy before a skin flap, but honestly, it's better safe than sorry.