Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any bed sore doctors(surgeons) in Colorado

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any bed sore doctors(surgeons) in Colorado

I have a stage 4 bed sore and I went to a doctor(Craig Hospital plastic surgeon) today in Colorado who gave me an ultimatum. In order for him to do surgery on me I MUST first get a colostomy then he'd perform a flap procedure. So basically a colostomy or death. There has to be other surgeons in Colorado who deal with bed sores that wouldn't REQUIRE such a drastic measure. Mind you, he is only requiring a colostomy for post operation precautions. This is too conservative for me.

I need doctors in Colorado.

Jaime
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad

You know a colostomy doesn't have to be permanent...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You know a colostomy doesn't have to be permanent...
    According to this doctor 80% of his patient will keep it. It is only being done to protect from feces getting into the flap. CYA
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad

Jwr18; From what I 've read on these boards a high percentage of people who get a colostomy due to flap surgery end up keeping it because they find it is easier than dealing with a bowel program once they actually have it. When your Dr. said 80% keep it I think most is by choice not that it can't be reversed. I'm c5/6 24years post and am seriously considering one just because I think it will make my life easier. Look up colostomy under search, there are a lot of threads about it.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by sreneet View Post
    Jwr18; From what I 've read on these boards a high percentage of people who get a colostomy due to flap surgery end up keeping it because they find it is easier than dealing with a bowel program once they actually have it. When your Dr. said 80% keep it I think most is by choice not that it can't be reversed. I'm c5/6 24years post and am seriously considering one just because I think it will make my life easier. Look up colostomy under search, there are a lot of threads about it.
    I get that. BP runs my life and I wouldn't have to do it. But two bags, ugh!
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad

jwr18, from what I've learned here about flap surgery recovery, insisting that you get a colostomy first isn't being conservative, it's being practical and offers you the best chance at healing without complications.

Having the colostomy would not only eliminate the chance that any feces would enter the wound site, it would also give your incisions a better shot at healing because no one would have to mess around anywhere near your freshly stitched/stapled butt cheeks during/after bowel care. One bad bout of diarrhea and everything the surgeons just did for you would be at high risk of infection from contamination and damage to the healing incisions as the nurses work to get you cleaned up. ~shudder~

If your bowel care is already demanding, I can't understand why you'd want to have to go through suppository/mini-enema insertion, manual evac, and dig stim post surgery, when you'll be restricted to laying flat on total bed rest (no bending your hips more than 10 degrees or so) for at least six weeks.

If I were going to have to go through a flap surgery, I'd do anything and everything -- including a colostomy -- to ensure that puppy had the best chance of healing possible.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Maybe SCI nurse will come along and reply...

Wishing you the best...

Take care!

Teena

Sounds like you saw one smart plastic surgeon at Craig. If the sore is close to your rectum, there is no way to successfully do a flap without diverting stool. It can be a temporary colostomy for the 6-8 weeks of recovery from the surgery and then reversed, although many find they like it so much they choose to keep it. If there are other plastic surgeons who would do your flap without it, I would want to know 1) how many flaps in that same area do they do each year on someone with SCI, 2) what is their success rate (flap still viable at 1 year). Bet it won't be as good of a record as this plastic surgeon.

Few people die from stage IV pressure ulcers. You can live many years with chronic open wounds, but of course you may not be able to sit or do the fun activities of life.

Why would you have two bags?

By the way, if you are looking for physician referrals, please post in the Physicians and Clinics forum, not on the Care forum.

(KLD)

KLD, guessing, but I am thinking two bags = leg bag, and colostomy bag...just a thought...

I was not really looking for a Dr rather than advice. I am quickly being persuaded by all the members of the forum especially Chris Chappel who called me today. I am sure everyone in Colorado0 knows this Dr and would chastise me for questioning his expertise.

I need to get this fixed sooner rather than later and you guys have helped.

BTW, two bags does include colostomy and leg bag.

james
    Last edited by jwr18; 07-17-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad