Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am i expecting to much

am i expecting to much

i have 2 girls that work for me in the evening i pay 10.00 hr for 2 hrs.when i hired them
    they agreeded to do light house keeping cooking helping me bathe and fes bike and stand

ok its 30 minutes tops for bath and dressing 15 min to get ready fes bike 15 to get off
    1hr on when i stand just a transfer

that frees them up to sweep house or mop floors dishes lundry or water garden
    get office coffee

we don/t do the above every day sweep 1 a week mop the next day garden which is small
    every otherday

office is every nite take clean cups out fix coffee pot glass of water . office is 50 feet from house

the last week they can/t seem to do 2 things in 1 hr if i stay with them things get done
    but i told them time and again think you know what needs to be done do it

any ideas i tried writing it down but that didn/t work

like last night told nicki to be sure wipe down counter tops she did 1 and that 1 had my broiler that clearly needed the glass clean

i wash dishes faster than either of them

i am venting

vent away, maybe hire woman instead of girls?
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Tell them they have one more chance or they're sacked. Look for new helpers while they promise you they'll get better

If that doesn't work, which it won't, then sack them once you have replacements.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

What Rhino said, and make sure they know in advance all the tasks that need to be done. Some ppl are just not the type who will take initiative and clean something unless they're expressly told to do it.

Perhaps create a task list and post it on the refrigerator?
    Last edited by anban; 07-15-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Missed a word

You said writing it down didn;t help, what if with the task list, they had to check off what they completed as well.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Great idea SJean - I have developed a "care plan" basically a to do list for every day of the week, they check off once completed or fill in the blanks (I have questions regarding David that they need to answer - like how many ml etc) and then a section for notes. Each day is different.

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    maybe hire woman instead of girls?
    I agree. If you are depending on child labor, you should probably change to adults.

Seriously, did you have a written job description that they read and signed when you hired them? Did it have a schedule and detailed list of job duties?

Did you have a job contract they signed? If so, what was in the contract as conditions for continued employment? It should include that failure to follow your directions in carrying out the agreed to duties is cause for firing. It should also include how often you will tolerate tardiness or unplanned no-shows/cancellations.

Do you have at least a weekly supervison meeting with them? Do you give them a written evaluation? Have you told them that continuing to perform this poorly will lead to their termination? Have you followed through on this? Jobs aren't so easy to get now, $10/hour or no, so if they see you are serious about letting them go (and you could probably fairly easily replace them) they may start to take the job seriously.

(KLD)

If a bad evaluation is a surprise, there is a problem w/ management. But it sounds like you're communication efforts are there; they are ignoring. I ditto Rhino. In this economy, nobody should settle for bad workers.

I actually hired a cleaning lady for $10/hr recently, and she worked hard! Way better than when the economy was good. So warn 'em, and have a replacement prepared when they disregard, YOU are the boss.

KLD is right about job description etc. Make a template, you'll only have to do it once and print it when you run up against this again.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I agree. If you are depending on child labor, you should probably change to adults.

Seriously, did you have a written job description that they read and signed when you hired them? Did it have a schedule and detailed list of job duties?

Did you have a job contract they signed? If so, what was in the contract as conditions for continued employment? It should include that failure to follow your directions in carrying out the agreed to duties is cause for firing. It should also include how often you will tolerate tardiness or unplanned no-shows/cancellations.

Do you have at least a weekly supervison meeting with them? Do you give them a written evaluation? Have you told them that continuing to perform this poorly will lead to their termination? Have you followed through on this? Jobs aren't so easy to get now, $10/hour or no, so if they see you are serious about letting them go (and you could probably fairly easily replace them) they may start to take the job seriously.

(KLD)
    your all correct i see that i should have written it up i willdo that sometime i wonder if
    i am judging them the way i was which was hellbent for leather and very aggesive clean freak

they are nicki is 20 paula is studing to be rn she is 28

i will write out a list ask the them how long it will take

i know bathing geting dress takes 20 to thirty min

but your all correct i will adjust them

thanks for letting me vent