Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float in the River

Cool Float in the River

To start off I'm a para. t-6 with little hip movement. I was looking for something to float in the shallow part of the river with. We have a tube with the middle cut out but it takes alot of space to carry with us on the boat. A Friend also told us to put a life jacket upside down (legs in the arm holes) But it takes too much time and weirdness to put it on. I was looking for something that wouldn't take much space up but that would keep me afloat.
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

What about a pool noodle or 2?

Also, why not the like jacket worn normally? Not that orange kind with a collar, but a boating one ... like for kayaks or water skiing.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I went tubing down the river this past 4th of july weekend. All I used was a pool float that they sell at wal-mart. It was a $15 one. It had a mesh middle and you had to inflate the outside tube. It even came with a cup holder for my beer
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

never put on a lifejacket upside down, its horrendously dangerous. imagine falling over in it, and the floatation part holds your ass in the air, and your head underwater. it can also cause irrepairable damage to the floatation foam - every lifejacket will caution on the labeling that you should not use it as a cushion. you should get a normal buoyancy aid - about 50 newtons or so - at any boating shop like west marine, or anywhere online. my one is a magic marine regatta vest, and is tiny. you should really be wearing the jacket at all times on the boat anyway, it is the law here in ireland, and is genuinely the only responsible thing to do. that law goes for everyone btw, regardless of age or mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    never put on a lifejacket upside down, its horrendously dangerous. imagine falling over in it, and the floatation part holds your ass in the air, and your head underwater.
    One time when we were kids my brother thought it would be funny to put water wings around his ankles and jump in the pool. The result was pure panic as his feet kept floating to the top and flipping him upside down as he struggled to get out of them.

thats a nightmare jeff. i have a drysuit for winter sailing, and each leg ends like footie pyjamas instead of sealed holes for boots. i have to be extremely careful to wear ankle weights if im doing anything that risks falling in the water, because the air inside the suit will collect in the feet and flip me upside down. i saw a guy (in a normal suit - its still possible, just a bit less likely) in england demonstrating this, and it was very difficult to hold his head above the water for another big guy in waist high water...

You could pull it behind the boat with a rope that's what we do with my kayak

Quote Originally Posted by RSieck View Post
    I went tubing down the river this past 4th of july weekend. All I used was a pool float that they sell at wal-mart. It was a $15 one. It had a mesh middle and you had to inflate the outside tube. It even came with a cup holder for my beer
    It's been a few years now since I've floated the river, but i agree, a pool lounge-chair float is the best ever for floating. Complete with beer holders and you can lay a fishing rod across you and fish whenever you want.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Only time it sucks is when it gets really shallow and there are some rapids. Just gotta watch your butt so you don't slam into the rocks too hard.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA