Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Cycle Transfers and Models

Hand Cycle Transfers and Models

Can anyone give me any info on how you get in and out of a handcycle when it looks like the seats are really low? I am really interested in getting one but only if they have ones with higher seats. I am T4 complete and also a double amputee directly above both knees. Also, they look expensive as hell and I could probably only afford 2-3 thousand for it. Anyone know of a model with exceptional quality in that price range? I live in Pittsburgh and we have mad hills so low gears would be a must. Thanks guys
    Ken

Guns don't kill people. Daddys with cute daughters do!

If you'll search, I did a whole photo series on me getting in and out of my shark which is very low, I'm C5/C7.

I love my quicky and ride it every mon, wed, fri. Strongly recommend the shark, they have moutain bike gearing (27 combinations) but you must have your hands to shift

I have an Invacare Top End Excelerator Pro and the seat has 3 position holes. They normally ship the bike in the lowest position but you can raise the seat to the highest position which I have done (you can also have it set up this way from factory) and the seat is almost 14" high, I have extra cushioning on mine bringing it to about 16". It's a much easier transfer and I find it quite stable due to the radical camber of the rear wheels. I have bullhorn cranks so still have clearance and the cranks don't hit my knees. Not a bad transfer - if you are just a leisure time rider you may want to consider this set up.

Quote Originally Posted by In the wind View Post
    If you'll search, I did a whole photo series on me getting in and out of my shark which is very low, I'm C5/C7.

I love my quicky and ride it every mon, wed, fri. Strongly recommend the shark, they have moutain bike gearing (27 combinations) but you must have your hands to shift
    can u link. i cant find it
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks for the pics. The thing is though, like I said before, I am a double amputee (legs) and I don't get the little extra springy base you can get from using your legs. I know not having the legs makes me a bit lighter but I don't think I can make a transfer with that much hieght difference. I'm still not up to the strength level I am capable of so maybe when I get stronger I would be able to do it. Thanks fellas.
    Ken

yah, he func like a para./ big k, look at patricks setup, im going to do the same, brings chair and bike level.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=120784
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Oh yeah. I see what you mean fuente. More cost effective would be maybe a wooden ramp/platform. Plus, you could take the ramp with you if you want to bike somewhere else like the local park or a race or whatever. When you are done you can just go back up the ramp and tranfer back into your chair. Now were cooking with fire!
    Ken

on a wooden ramp/platform, the ramp has to be long enough so the incline is not too steep. if it is too steep (shorter Ramp), the frame of the bike will drag on the transition of the ramp to the level surface of the bike. Another alternative is a hydraulic lift.

I'm not sure if you have looked at Freedomryders FRH-1 Big K. It is higher in the seat,very ergonomic and effcient. Mike Lofgren the owner also works with the VA in making alterations to his handcycles for situations like yours. It is more than you said you had but well worth itif you can swing it. If the bike is not suited for you, you won't ride it.

look at intrepid. 1599 on ebay. new. looks like an easy transfer too. anyone
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com