Thread: Cousin injured/where to go for rehab???

Cousin injured/where to go for rehab???

I got the awful news last night that my cousin was in a car accident and broke his back. So far she has said it is called Burst at T8 with surgery to put a rod in at T 6 thru 10 IF I remember correctly. She has a million questions so I referred her to this website. But my question is which rehab would anyone recommend in Minnesota? I really want her to get the best care, of course. I know of Courage Center which is very near to the hospital where she is at right now in the Mpls. area but have also read that the Mayo rehab is an excellent choice.

They should also consider the Sister Kenny Institute, which is CARF accredited as a spinal cord system of care. www.sisterkennyinstitute.com

I have heard both good and bad things about the Mayo Clinic program in Rochester, so can't make a recommendation either way: www.mayoclinic.org/physicalmedicine-rst

Did she say anything about the degree of paralysis, if any?

(KLD)

Thank you so so much for your quick response. I had thought of SK but didnt realize it would be one anyone would recommend. She just said there was no movement or feeling at all below the T8, arms are good, had a bowel movement but is in an extreme amount of pain . Also broke 6 ribs.

Mayo is GREAT for some things. Haven't heard much of them re SCI rehab.

But Jo, OMG, I'm sorry you're re-living this one. Best to the cousin. They are fortunate to have you.

Jesse's Mom, You might want to start here: http://www.christopherreeve.org/site..._Paralyzed.htm

There is a Top 10 Question and answer as well as other links. I know when Jesse was injured you called the PRC, they were relatively new back then. Give a call today at 800-539-7309 and ask to talk to an IS---try for Donna.
    They will get you out a package of info ASAP.

Good luck and if you need anything else ask. Personally, if it was me, I would head to Shepherd in Atlanta if my insurance allowed it or Craig in Colorado.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Shepherd Center is also wonderful. Their program is well organized and you are in therapy from 9-4 M-F. Daughter just left 5/18/2009.

Jesse's Mom,
    If I had to do it again, I would go to Sister Kinney in Minneapolis. I am sorry that your cousin is going through this. This is the exact same injury I have-burst fracture of the T8 vertabrae and rods from T6-10. My broken ribs were more painful than my back. I think it is a good sign that she has had a bowel movement. Was it on her own or did the nurses give her a supp.? Where is she at for her trauma care? I was at North Memorial.

Kathy

Our 17 year old son did his rehab at mayo , was there from oct. last year until march this year. We don't think that the care could have been any better anywhere else. The Courage Center is a great follow up to mayo as it is more of a indenpendent living program to follow up after accute rehab. Both are very good choices.