Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The new Quickie Hellium

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    And for all I know, it's possible that oval shaped titanium tubing may be stronger than round tubing and may in fact represent an improvement...But all in all, it's been same old, same old at TiLite for some time.
    Oval titanium tubing would be stronger. In fact, TiLite's use of oval tubing at key points was one reason I went with the ZR instead of a Quickie Ti or Crossfire Titanium. I didn't want flex in the segment connecting the fork to the front frame. As far as the amount of flex in the 1.25" round tubing used elsewhere in the ZR, I actually prefer it. If they stiffened it up, it would not dampen vibration and minor impacts as effectively.

Now an oval tubing version of the Quickie Ti Titanium could be intriguing...

drool worthy
    No wheelchair will ever be drool worthy for me.
    Sorry for the interruption.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I had a Quickie chair once:

1. The build quality was terrible and it fell to pieces in a very short space of time.
    2. It had lots of adjustability and it still never fitted properly.
    3. The after sales service was horrendous.

I will never touch another Quickie chair however appealing their chairs look in their advertising material.
    I've had the same Quickie 2 chair for the past 8 years and am not experiencing any of the issues you describe. Only just now am I getting a new chair because this one is just old. (I'm getting a newer version of the same chair.)

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    No wheelchair will ever be drool worthy for me.
    Sorry for the interruption.
    I think 90% of the people posting in this particular thread can relate. What's drool worthy for me is the bottle of Jack Daniel's staring at me.
    Last edited by sam10685; 09-19-2009 at 01:56 AM.

And for all I know, it's possible that oval shaped titanium tubing may be stronger than round tubing and may in fact represent an improvement.

Well, probably they could use oval tubes for make their chairs lighter because if they use oval tubes their tubes will have a thinner wall for be lighter http://marketing.sunrisemedical.com/Q7//Video2.asp
    Last edited by totoL1; 09-19-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Well, probably they could use oval tubes for make their chairs lighter because if they use oval tubes their tubes will have a thinner wall for be lighter
    But at an extra cost$$$$.

Personally, I prefer the amount of flex that 1.25" diameter round tubing provides at the front frame bend on my ZR. I think that flex can be excessive with the 1" diameter tubing of the Quickie Ti.

To paraphrase another manufacturer:
    Use "oval tubing where oval tubing counts".

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    But at an extra cost$$$$.

Personally, I prefer the amount of flex that 1.25" diameter round tubing provides at the front frame bend on my ZR. I think that flex can be excessive with the 1" diameter tubing of the Quickie Ti.

To paraphrase another manufacturer:

Use "oval tubing where oval tubing counts".

I prefer the 1.25" diameter round tubing too, they give to the chair a strong look.

Met a guy this morning -- a para who works at a rehab facility outside of New York City -- who got to try demo a Q7. He remarked that it is indeed very light, much lighter than his TiLite Aero Z. He also said that he was told that Quickie is going to offer a fixed-frame version of the Q7 in the not too distant future.

If the build quality of these new Quickies is as good as TiLite's, and if the Q7s (adjustable and fixed frame) are lighter than the ZRc and ZRa, then I think they're going to attract considerable market share seeing as aluminum frame chairs are reimbursed at a greater rate than titanium frame chairs due to their different insurance coding.

He also said that he was told that Quickie is going to offer a fixed-frame version of the Q7 in the not too distant future.
    That will be interisting, and a little bit more light.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    That will be interisting, and a little bit more light.
    Probably not that much. Their present "adjustable" design really doesn't add a significant amount of weight. It would be nice to be rid of those splined caster forks, however.

Personally, I'd sacrifice a little weight and stay with titanium for it's two major advantages--durability (especially if not powdercoated) and vibration dampening.

Now Q7 versus Aero Z? I'd have to say Q7.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Personally, I'd sacrifice a little weight and stay with titanium for it's two major advantages--durability (especially if not powdercoated) and vibration dampening.
    The Marvel Wheelchair dudes' take on titanium and vibration dampening:

Titanium enjoyed a brief moment in the sun in the bike world, with manufacturers touting the same advantages that the wheelchair builders are currently, light and strong, dampens vibration, doesn’t need to be painted, and vaguely described ‘ride characteristics’.

The truth is, comparing apples to apples, a length of titanium tube is heavier than the same length of aluminum tube. Again, as mentioned earlier, unless you butt the tubing, the material is just not being used in the right way.

The vibratory dampening characteristics of titanium have been used to promote the material, as was also the case in the bike industry, the reality though is that real vibration in a frame only happens at relatively high speeds, in excess of 25 km/h. What does happen at lower speeds is bumps, there is a slight acoustic vibration that results from bumps, but the real way to deal with the issue is through shock absorption, not vibratory dampening.