Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The new Quickie Hellium

I can`t understand why quickie put in the presentation of this chair a pic of a guy with a chair with a deep seat measurement much little than he really need.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    I can`t understand why quickie put in the presentation of this chair a pic of a guy with a chair with a deep seat measurement much little than he really need.
    For such a meticulously staged picture, someone in marketing should have run the pic by a few clinicians and end users who would have identified some obvious issues which make the ad less effective.

I agree with totoL1, possible fit and positioning issues of Cameron in the Q7 made more of a first impression on me than the chair itself (although the appearance may be due to the task he is performing). While he may fit much better in the chair if he simply repositions himself, it will probably detract from the purpose of the ad when viewed by a clinician.

I also don't get why they staged the pic on that terrain with those casters and tires. Nearly every potential end user who looks at the pic would quickly think to themselves "This guy would be stranded". Then, they'd tell themselves "It's just an ad", and redirect their focus to the chair. Draping the upper portion of his body suit over the frame also detracts from the product.

Based on the limited info which can be gleaned from the site, the adjustable seat upholstery available on the Helium also appears to have stayed in Europe.

Quickie's engineers and product managers have made some nice changes to their custom manual line of wheelchairs in the past 2 years. Unfortunately, when those products are not marketed effectively, potential customers are likely to raise questions about whether the company really "gets it". In the discussions I've had with a few product managers, I'd say that they do "get it" (at least with the custom manual and Jay product lines).

I'll reserve judgment on the chair itself until more info becomes available and I get some firsthand experience with one.

Q7 is officially available

Looks like most of the things people liked about the Helium made it to the Q7 (including direct mount wheel locks, back canes 1" narrower than seat width, and their new seat upholstery).

Q7 Product Info Page
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 09-18-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Looks like most of the things people liked about the Helium made it to the Q7 (including direct mount wheel locks, back canes 1" narrower than seat width, and their new seat upholstery).

Q7 Product Info Page
    I like it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    injecting is way better for your body. but imo opinion its the only safe way

Is it an obvious prediction that TiLite will have to come out with a chair using oval tubing to keep up with this emerging trend?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Is it an obvious prediction that TiLite will have to come out with a chair using oval tubing to keep up with this emerging trend?
    Actually, they've been using ovalized sections of tubing on several models (including your own).

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Actually, they've been using ovalized sections of tubing on several models (including your own).
    Duh, I know that!! I was referring to the seat frame tubing.

Of cOurse yOu dO.

It might be something to consider with the next Aero Z, but I don't see any major advantages on their titanium models.

Why do you want a oval tube in your seat frame?
    They do it in aluminium for make the frame stronger, but you don`t need to do that in a titanium frame.

I cut a titanium screw time ago and you can`t imagine how strong is this material.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Why do you want a oval tube in your seat frame?
    They do it in aluminium for make the frame stronger, but you don`t need to do that in a titanium frame.

I cut a titanium screw time ago and you can`t imagine how strong is this material.
    I was being only half serious. It's clear that oval tubing is going to be the next "thing" in high-end ultra-lightweight wheelchairs and TiLite, like any leading manufacturer, has to continually evolve and modernize their product line. And for all I know, it's possible that oval shaped titanium tubing may be stronger than round tubing and may in fact represent an improvement.

Regardless, aside from the extravagantly expensive Z10 (and offering colored appointments to their existing products) they haven't rolled out anything particularly drool worthy in a long time. I can only guess that a suspension model, at least, might be in the pipeline as there appears to be a market demand for that and that's an obvious gap in their offerings. But all in all, it's been same old, same old at TiLite for some time.