Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rectal tone

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Last time I checked, my rectal tone was B flat.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

By definition, those with a reflex (UMN) bowel have a tight sphincter that cannot be voluntarily relaxed. The normal state of the anal sphincter is to be fairly tight. Without the normal inhibitory messages coming from the brain preventing clamping even tighter, nor the voluntary brain message to relax for defecation, a very tight spastic sphincter is normal.

Coming out of spinal shock fully will only make this worse. The purpose of digital stimulation is to fatigue the muscle so it relaxes and allows stool to pass. Because the reflex arc for the anal sphincter is at S2-4 (the same as the external urinary sphincter and the bladder) having a full bladder can make your sphincter tighter, as can any painful or even non-painful touching of the S2-4 dermatomes.

Using plenty of lubricant, a strong finger, and sometimes lidocaine jelly 2% or 4% as the lubricant can usually help with this. Our nurses claim that any carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms they have comes from doing dig stim for very tight anal sphincters multiple times daily, not from all the keyboarding they have to do when charting!

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by (KLD)
    Our nurses claim that any carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms they have comes from doing dig stim for very tight anal sphincters multiple times daily, not from all the keyboarding they have to do when charting!
    Now that explanation (which I don't doubt for a second) would make for some very interesting workers' comp claim reviews....
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    As long as there is tone that holds the stool back, that is positive. However too much tone is not good either. Aslong as you are emptying your rectum, it is't a problem. However, if it does not allow you to empty your colon, then it is a problem. Are you having any constipation or impaction? You say that you are emptying some, but not as much before. Has anything else changed, like medications, diet, amount of fluid you are drinking?
    CKF
    I'm curious, after doing my bowel program, usually later that day I start getting the sensation that I have to go some more. Take today for instance. I completed my bowel program earlier this morning. Throughout the day I was having small spasms and I could tell that something wasn't quite right. Then afterI eat supper tonight I felt the urge to unload, but my bowel program isn't for two more days. How dangerous is this for me??

rectal tone

I, too, have extreme rectal tone, and I ended up choosing to get a colostomy, which was a great decision. It has made my life much easier. I irrigate every other day and I now spend about an hour in the bathroom instead of hours and hours. I still have the rectal tone, however, and it causes me a lot of pain in the entire pelvic floor. I wonder if it was originally caused by my having to use so much digital stimulation before, of it it is caused by a disk problem I have at L4/5, which causes me back pain. I am T10/11 incomplete paraplegic.

I chose a colostomy last September and am very happy with it. It has made my life so much easier. I am, however, a paraplegic with a low level injury, so I'm not sure you'd have the same experience. If you do have a colostomy, I'd recommend using the irrigation method, which basically cleans you out so that you don't have stool in your pouch during the day. That's what I do. I still have the severely tight rectal tone.

The tight rectal tone is probably due to the disk problem and the neurologic issues that you are having. Your level of injury would tell me that you would have rectal tone. I would be more than surprised if it was from the dig stim....
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    FWIW, my doctor once told me I had a 'beautiful anus'....

As long as your not pooping yourself I wouldn't worry about it. I too occasionally suffer from 'bleeding hemorrhoid syndrome'. It sound so sexy to say!
    When a Dr says this, it's time to look for a new one. That's like saying "Oh, your farts smell nice."
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.