Thread: Caregiving Twittercast July 13th 10 pm ET

Caregiving Twittercast July 13th 10 pm ET

Hi Everyone:
    I thought I would post this in the Caregivers forum so that hopefully some of you can attend. I will be one of the moderators so I am asking you for help and ideas. I have been a member of this forum for ages and have an SCI but have also worn the caregiver hat.

I want to represent your ideas, concerns and needs. Please give me your feedback either by PM or here in the thread. You all speak so elegantly and I want to represent your thoughts, ideas and concerns.

Thanks

http://www.fem2pt0.com/2009/06/26/fo...ts-caregiving/

Our next Twittercast will take place July 13 on a topic near and dear to our hearts: women and caregiving. In fact, because we feel this topic is so important, Fem2.0 is organizing a blog carnival leading up to the Twittercast to raise awareness about the huge role caregiving plays in women’s lives. Will you participate?

Invitation to Fem2.0 Blog Carnival: For Women, the Other Side of Work Is NOT Play… It’s Caregiving

Women take care of children, spouses, parents, family members, friends. We dominate the caregiving professions, like nursing or social work. Ask anyone receiving care of any kind and he or she will most likely tell you that the primary caregiver is a woman.

Caregiving is a job for which women usually don’t get or expect monetary compensation. It is a critical aspect of work/life and healthcare issues. How can caregiving be made easier to make our lives easier?

Over the next couple of weeks, Fem2.0 is partnering with the National Family Caregivers Association (NFCA) and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation to take a closer look at caregiving and women.

What is caregiving in all its shapes and forms?
    What role does it play in women’s lives?
    What can be done, or what changes need to happen, to facilitate caregiving?
    We are looking for insights, comments, and expertise. We are looking for personal stories to illustrate the human experience of caregiving and to build a sense of solidarity among all caregivers.

On the blog now, NFCA Communications Director Deborah Halpern writes:

"We are mothers, wives, daughters, sisters, grand daughters and friends. We are the ones caring for our loved ones with chronic ailments, disabilities and the frailties of old age. The question is … do we recognize who we are? Generally the answer is a resounding NO. We see ourselves as loving mothers, devoted wives, responsible daughters caring for those who need help or can not care for themselves alone." Read the rest here.

From the Reeve Foundation:

"Caregiving seems to choose us, emerging from events and circumstances beyond our control. Spinal cord injury, debilitation or sudden illness may come without warning.

"This is a job that cannot be skirted and cannot always be delegated. It can be difficult, physically and emotionally. It can be time-consuming. While caring for loved ones can be enormously satisfying, there are days, it seems, that offer little reward." Read the rest here.

Please join this campaign to raise awareness about women and caregiving in the following ways:

1. Blog about it by July 13 and send us the link, so we can add your post to the blog carnival on Fem2.0. Alternatively you can write a piece for the Fem2.0 blog and send it to info@fem2pt0.com.

2. Participate in the Women and Caregiving Twittercast Monday night, July 13, 10 PM EST - hashtag #fem2. Find out how to join a Twittercast here.

Finally, we ask you: How do you know when someone is a great activist organizer? How about if that someone actually takes notes during Fem2.0 Twittercasts? Yes, Jon Pincus took notes during last week’s discussion about how #p2 and #fem2 can work together more effectively. We were impressed.

During the Twittercast, there was an emphasis on diversity and inclusion. Another interesting thread was the identification of issues that the #p2 and #fem2 have both focused on so far: healthcare, reproductive choice and privacy. See the notes here, and don’t forget to throw kudos at the diagram.

Have a great weekend!
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I'm interested but I don't twitter .... (and refuse to!) .... oh well, glad it is happening, its an important topic.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Z~ You don't have to Twitter. Is there anything you want to be sure is covered regarding working Caregivers? That fits your description.

Oh ok! I'll think it over and PM you separately.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Hi Cheesecake and Zilllangel!!

HERE IS HOW TO LOG INTO THE TWITTERCAST:

For the Tweetchat:

We use http://www.tweetchat.com for the chats. You can do this now, but at the time of the chat, click on that link and enter your Twitter name and password. When it asks “what room would you like to join” write “fem2.”

Fem2.0 and many Twitter users write the tag “fem2” when they are talking about feminist/progressive issues. All of the Tweets that have the word “fem2” in them are consolidated in this Tweetchat room you have joined. When you update using Tweetchat, it automatically puts “fem2” at the end of your Tweet. It’s like a chat room – in order to participate in the chat (i.e. have their tweets show up on this page), the person must use “fem2” somewhere in their tweet.

I will be tweeting from the Fem2.0 account, and I will introduce the conversation and ask the discussion starter question. Then the participants will answer using the tag “fem2.” You will see your Tweetchat page automatically update as people respond, and you can update using the box at the top. If you want to respond to someone directly with an @ reply, you can look for the little arrow next to their tweet and click it; this will insert their name in the box for you, and you can write your response to them and post. For example, if you see a tweet from me and hit the arrow, “@ReeveFdnIS" will appear in the box. When you write your response to me and send it, I will see it pop up on my screen.

--

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Oh ok! I'll think it over and PM you separately.
    Sorry I never got your notes, you missed a great chat filled with valuable resources.