Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Letter from Joni Eareckson Tada

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Joni should take her gimp accepting butt and get a real job. She preys on the believing disabled as much as all the other send me every dime you have tele-evangelists. She needs a real job not a tax free one. JMHO
    So Sue, I'm a little fuzzy, tell me how you really feel. While I agree she has done some good things, she comes across the same way to me.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    So Sue, I'm a little fuzzy, tell me how you really feel. While I agree she has done some good things, she comes across the same way to me.
    This is an R rated open forum Mike. Now if it were members.. Personally, I think the lady has had "issues" since she was named "Joni" and her family pronounces it "Johnny". Think Dad was expecting a quarterback?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I met her twice in person and she was quite nice...I read both of her books too...She handles her life the way she wants to and I respect that...everyone deals with it in their own way...and to me she's honest about her feelings about it...

I received a note from her, and a book a few years back. My uncle met her at a conference, and gave her my name. I don;t agree with her philosophy, but it was nice of her to take the time. I have no idea what ever happened to the book tho, or I;d send it on to you Van Q.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by harley-lynn View Post
    I met her twice in person and she was quite nice...I read both of her books too...She handles her life the way she wants to and I respect that...everyone deals with it in their own way...and to me she's honest about her feelings about it...
    Yea, I guess whatever gets you through the day thing is up to her, Harley-Lynn. I just get highly upset when she has suddenly appeared on my TV screen and wonder if she realizes that many people will think she speaks for all of us. Her books short of miracuously winding up on the Best Sellers List should be in Christen book stores not Borders unless back in their religious area not in self-help. And, IMHO, all those shows on CBN and other such networks should pay taxes on their profits the same as CBS, TNT and CNN.

I was never too thrilled with the Army chaplain showing up when I was slowly being taken out of the coma while I was so fuzzy brained and covered by the equivalent of a large towel. This, I later learned, is the guy who gave me last rites. Last rites? Anyone who knew me knew that would not be my ideal idea for my possible soon to be death and is there at least a Unitarian in the house? I had left the Army almost 7 years previously. And then the dude kept showing up when I was barely able to say a full sentence without needing a breath between each word and a nap at the end. Six or so weeks later he had his counterpart at Bethesda coming over to NRH on my behalf. I very quickly let him know, politely, that I really did not follow the party line, Episcopalian, anymore and hadn't for many, many years. This one was nice enough to ask why he had gotten the word that I appreciated these visits. I explained the inability at first to object. Then I told him to feel very free to call on my husband who did appear to appreciate the comforting words and traditions. A Catholic might be reqested but he's not overly picky. Do call first and prepare to meet over lunch at the nearest officer's club or Burger King unless he had a clearance to get into my spouse's offices. Home was out as we were technically homeless as our place was rented out when we moved to Germany. I cannot even imagine a priest entering our friend's house where he was staying. I am a reasonably good Pagan. Our friend while a magnificient friend has made sinning in the christian world a goal in this life. Sins with hot, slightly younger women preferred-often.

IOWs? The religious types should ask the patient if they would like the company/prayers/whatever and ask in such a way that at our weakest we can squeak out a polite, very weak NO and that's it.

What would have helped get me through the day a little better back then would have been a visit from the Chippendales. OK, a clothing designer.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

not a real religious type here, but been supporting JAF for years. i don't see any similarity to the tv evangelists at all. i get the newsletter. JAF does a lot of good. so, i think maybe judgements are being made based on other factors. btw, really, what does her name have to do w/it? i've known plenty of ppl with weird sp/pronunciation. she's a good speaker, not pushy, JAF provides w/cs, retreats, etc. so, not your thing. doesn't make her a bad person.

as far as some comment about get a real job, well...she is doing a hell of a lot more to help ppl than my engineering job ever did so i don't get the point.

I like her personally, but I dislike her philosophy.

Beside the letter and the book she sent my son, her organization also asked us if we needed any financial help while he was in acute rehab.
    Luke 5:24

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post

IOWs? The religious types should ask the patient if they would like the company/prayers/whatever and ask in such a way that at our weakest we can squeak out a polite, very weak NO and that's it.
    My uncle is very religious, and works with a missionary type organization. He visit me a lot while I was in the hospital, and while I appreciated the family part of the visits, I didn;t appreciate the whole "god has a reason for this .... etc" that he constantly spoke about. (My mother found out about this later, and was furious, she would have had it out with him had she known.)

You also mention being so weak .... I have to laugh now, but he gave me a new modern translation of the Bible. Which might have been appreciated, had it not been a very large, hard cover, version. I couldn;t even lift it at the time.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

LOL Yea, after two weeks down on the neuro floor I started on..comic books. Blah! Graduated to a short paperback with a well broken back before I left. One of the girls at the local bank got me a few of those rubber tip things for my left fore finger so I could turn pages.

Yea, I continue to still get the ''God's plan" business from the door knockers. Had one of the spous'e co-workers show up one day after calling to insist I needed to know something terribly important. I invited him over. I was prepared for be told I might be hearing about divorce plans or something. He showed with his wife and a niece in tow. Then he started on 'the word' and ended up babbling in 'tongues'. Tongues I could identify...Swahili. Told him politely that if he ever bothered me again or I heard he did this to anyone else; than I'd be calling the folks that investigate people who may need their security clearance yanked for bouncing checks and other fiscal problems, addictions without seeking treatment and those who need evaluated for mental illness.

OK, she can't be all bad if she offers financial assistance to those in need.