Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Letter from Joni Eareckson Tada

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Letter from Joni Eareckson Tada

While looking for my sun glasses in my dresser I found this letter I received from Joni Eareckson Tada while I was still in the hospital. Then, I didn't know who she was. I showed my physical therapist the letter and she took it to show other therapists I received this letter from her. I was half way through my stay at Lorain Community Hospital; postmarked June 5th, 1987. I left the hospital August 30th, 1987.

She states, "Still, it's hard to think about living another 20 years in a wheelchair. But ..." I past that point already. I am going on 23 years now. It is a way of life now. For others who are fresh out the hospital it gives hope.

My real name was removed from the letter and envelop for privacy.

titanium4motion

Cool saw her movie about her accident when I was still in school.
    She's helped thousands of people & paints beautiful pictures with her mouth.
    I watch her on her tv show every week.
    How did she know about you?

Somebody left a copy of that (to me, appallingly serene, spiritual, blahblahblah bs) book when I was in rehab.

To date, nobody has confessed.

I gotta hand it to her-she apparently knows that book doesn't set well with some of the newly injured, judging by her letter. Nice of her to write. My rehab roomie had a letter from CR, she was a C2 injury also.

Thank God I found John Hockenberry. HIS book got me through rehab. I required more grit and anger than Joni was laying down, to keep me driven. I needed to believe that failure was not an option. Not that Joni was a failure, she is just so darned accepting. And grateful. Hockenberry gave me sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, and a truly exciting life to aspire to. Joni gave me church.

Still, nice of her to contact you.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Somebody left a copy of that (to me, appallingly serene, spiritual, blahblahblah bs) book when I was in rehab.

To date, nobody has confessed.

I gotta hand it to her-she apparently knows that book doesn't set well with some of the newly injured, judging by her letter. Nice of her to write. My rehab roomie had a letter from CR, she was a C2 injury also.

Thank God I found John Hockenberry. HIS book got me through rehab. I required more grit and anger than Joni was laying down, to keep me driven. I needed to believe that failure was not an option. Not that Joni was a failure, she is just so darned accepting. And grateful. Hockenberry gave me sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, and a truly exciting life to aspire to. Joni gave me church.

Still, nice of her to contact you.
    You sure got that right. I'm just an old quad now something
    I did not want to be. I was one hard living quad. Coming Home was
    a good movie to me it had stryker circle electric beds and all . Oh yeah sex, drugs and rock'n'roll keep me going too.

I got a letter from Larry Flint when I was first paralyzed He said Welcome to the F in club my friend.

But, ya seriously I always liked everything I've read about Joni, she is a pretty amazing woman even though I dont believe in the stuff she does. I think worship is a waste of time, I'd rather dedicate my time to Sailing and Handcycling. to each their own I guess.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Joni should take her gimp accepting butt and get a real job. She preys on the believing disabled as much as all the other send me every dime you have tele-evangelists. She needs a real job not a tax free one. JMHO
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Joni should take her gimp accepting butt and get a real job. She preys on the believing disabled as much as all the other send me every dime you have tele-evangelists. She needs a real job not a tax free one. JMHO
    So Sue, I'm a little fuzzy, tell me how you really feel. While I agree she has done some good things, she comes across the same way to me.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    So Sue, I'm a little fuzzy, tell me how you really feel. While I agree she has done some good things, she comes across the same way to me.
    This is an R rated open forum Mike. Now if it were members.. Personally, I think the lady has had "issues" since she was named "Joni" and her family pronounces it "Johnny". Think Dad was expecting a quarterback?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I met her twice in person and she was quite nice...I read both of her books too...She handles her life the way she wants to and I respect that...everyone deals with it in their own way...and to me she's honest about her feelings about it...

Quote Originally Posted by harley-lynn View Post
    I met her twice in person and she was quite nice...I read both of her books too...She handles her life the way she wants to and I respect that...everyone deals with it in their own way...and to me she's honest about her feelings about it...
    Yea, I guess whatever gets you through the day thing is up to her, Harley-Lynn. I just get highly upset when she has suddenly appeared on my TV screen and wonder if she realizes that many people will think she speaks for all of us. Her books short of miracuously winding up on the Best Sellers List should be in Christen book stores not Borders unless back in their religious area not in self-help. And, IMHO, all those shows on CBN and other such networks should pay taxes on their profits the same as CBS, TNT and CNN.

I was never too thrilled with the Army chaplain showing up when I was slowly being taken out of the coma while I was so fuzzy brained and covered by the equivalent of a large towel. This, I later learned, is the guy who gave me last rites. Last rites? Anyone who knew me knew that would not be my ideal idea for my possible soon to be death and is there at least a Unitarian in the house? I had left the Army almost 7 years previously. And then the dude kept showing up when I was barely able to say a full sentence without needing a breath between each word and a nap at the end. Six or so weeks later he had his counterpart at Bethesda coming over to NRH on my behalf. I very quickly let him know, politely, that I really did not follow the party line, Episcopalian, anymore and hadn't for many, many years. This one was nice enough to ask why he had gotten the word that I appreciated these visits. I explained the inability at first to object. Then I told him to feel very free to call on my husband who did appear to appreciate the comforting words and traditions. A Catholic might be reqested but he's not overly picky. Do call first and prepare to meet over lunch at the nearest officer's club or Burger King unless he had a clearance to get into my spouse's offices. Home was out as we were technically homeless as our place was rented out when we moved to Germany. I cannot even imagine a priest entering our friend's house where he was staying. I am a reasonably good Pagan. Our friend while a magnificient friend has made sinning in the christian world a goal in this life. Sins with hot, slightly younger women preferred-often.

IOWs? The religious types should ask the patient if they would like the company/prayers/whatever and ask in such a way that at our weakest we can squeak out a polite, very weak NO and that's it.

What would have helped get me through the day a little better back then would have been a visit from the Chippendales. OK, a clothing designer.